1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

are all the good band names taken?

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by AKR, Oct 17, 2007.

1. AKR

AKR Active Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Home Page:
    is it possible anymore to come up with a good band name? i'm pissed as hell. i searched google multiple times for the band name that i've wanted for almost a year. after seeing nothing, i registered a URL, got a hotmail account, and started a myspace page for it. well, when i went to pick a custom URL for my myspace page, i find out the name's already taken (2 months ago, so maybe google hasn't picked it up yet). i'm ^#$%ing pissed because i worked so hard to come up with it and the name really means a lot to me because of the concept. i don't want to just pick some random stupid thing, or something that just sounds cool. i want the whole philosophy behind it, and every time i come up with something, i find out i'm not the first.

what the hell do you do in this age, when there's a billion different bands, and they're all on the internet? i mean, what's left, but stupid nonsensical phrases like "frozen-turkey-boners", or "bucky the christ beaver?" if i was a lame ass comedy act, that'd be great, but i'm not.

every good name i've ever wanted has been taken and it's pissing me off.

2. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Oberlin, OH
    Home Page:
    And your point is? :cry:
  3. snedz

snedz Guest

Yea! Im stressed right out cos of this. I come up with a label name but some dudes around the world are pissing around with it. Copyright?
  4. MediaMurder

MediaMurder Guest

well what was this name you came up with that was so awesome??
  5. fourone3

fourone3 Active Member

Jan 17, 2007
    If he tells us, he'll have to kill us.
  6. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Sep 26, 2005
    How about "mongoose flappers and the incredible turtle toes"?

No, wait! How about " Bush whackers & Cheney chompers"?

"Rockinholistic jelly rollers?"

" Sanitary toilet tubers"????

I can think of a million of them and everyone of them says ROCK-AND-ROLL!

"Incredibly beautiful and all two reel"
    Ms. Remy Ann David
  7. HansAm

HansAm Active Member

Jun 4, 2005
    "chill-out-mr and haveanotherbeer"

Just take the band name you want and put a new beginning or ending to it :p

Like. I play in Mean+Flower. They already exists in the US. So if we were ever to make it (something we wont cause we have quit. just play a bunch of gigs without rehearsal) it would probably be Mean+Flower of Norway or some geek crap like Mean+Flower\no.

You know. There are already stuff like OrangeUK and so forth.
  8. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Moderator

Feb 23, 2005
    Maybe you should read more. I've gotten all of my bands' names from Kurt Vonnegut novels...
  9. I made it easy....

I started calling the band; Big Daddy Blues Band.

Reinventing the wheel is a problem.

You can do the whole dart board and map thing.

That's how they came up with the "Bay City Rollers."

Or you can use your home town like "The New York Dolls."

The book thing works well, I played in a band named "Middle Earth."
  10. Link555

Link555 Distinguished Member

Mar 31, 2007
    North Vancouver
    are all the good band names taken?

YES- no wait that's taken too....
  11. Space

Space Distinguished Member

Jun 26, 2007
    It is odd that the confusion is not so much on if a good band name exists but can I get a domain name that reflects my band name.

Truly extraordinary times.
  12. VonRocK

VonRocK Active Member

Sep 3, 2006
    Calgary, Alberta Canada
    How about, "Buckup, Princess"
  13. rockstardave

rockstardave Active Member

Mar 3, 2006
    you cant copyright a band name.

you can trademark the way it's graphically designed.

like, you could name your band metallica, but you couldnt have the album cover with MeticallA done in their fancy stylings.

(although if you book your band as Metallica, you'll have a lot of pissed off people at your show when they see it's not the "real" metallica).

.. at least thats the way i remember learning it.
  14. JoeJoeMan

JoeJoeMan Guest

What's in a name anyway ............the next band I startup won't have a name, that's right - no name, we'll be the only band with no name, now that's different, with everybody trying to be different, we'll really be different, when we go looking for a gig and and they ask "what's the band's name"........I'll say "We ain't got a name, we don't need a name, band names are for amatures".......if they say "And what am I suppose to put up on the marque"........I say "I don't care, put your grandmother's underware up there...we DON'T have a name, deal with it or find somebody else".
    Personally I'm tired of always trying to come up with another band name everytime you start a new group, and there's always somebody that thinks the name sucks...so screw it, we won't have one. Plus people are always asking "What's the band's name", so soon as the word gets out that you don't have a name they won't ask anymore.
    I suggest you do the same, you won't have to worry about anything, like someone else having the name, the drummer's wife saying it sucks, or even having to practive because you probably won't get any gigs anyway with no name, so it's a win win situation.
    But if you insist and really want a good name, here's a couple to get you thinking
    Hot Vomit
    Cheap Music
    Mashed Potatoes
    We Suck
    Domestic Abuse
    The G Strings
    The A** Wipes

I don't see what your problem is, there are loads of names still :lol: available, let me know if you need some more suggestions.
  15. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Oberlin, OH
    Home Page:
    This is probably a really stupid question but if you are a local band why does it matter so much if you find a name that you like and just use it?

If the name is taken just add something to it...

Pearl Jammin

The Jackson 5 wannabees

The Beatles Exterminator

Queen's tiara

I think you get the point.

The A's

The B's

The Number ONE band

The First Band

The Numero Iona Band

Fatal Attraction

Mega Band

Tune a Fish

Guitar Pickers Amalgamated

Thunder Percussion

The Fools Game

Music Business Heroes

spell the name backwards:

neeuq (Queen), seltaeb (Beatles) ecilop (Police) anavirn (Nirvana) etc and etc.

Best of luck! :!:
  16. BobRogers

BobRogers Distinguished Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Blacksburg, VA
    Selteab was the name of the Beatles original US merchandising corporation. Horribly run and one Brian Epstein's worst blunders. (The Beatles originally got 10%.) Definitely bad karma for a band name.
  17. MediaMurder

MediaMurder Guest

Yeah, but your domain name doesnt have to be http://www.bandname.com, it can be something cool that describes your band in two or three words like a pop band would be, http://www.dickless-pussies.com

18. fourone3

fourone3 Active Member

Jan 17, 2007
    My personal favorite is "The Big Floppy Donkey T*ts" or, of course "The Big Floppy Donkey D*cks".
  19. JoeJoeMan

JoeJoeMan Guest

I really don't want to disclose this because it's the one name I've been saving and saving for that one great band I was gonna have someday - but alas my best days have come and gone, so I'm giving it up and I'm throwing the name out there for anyone that wants it and is smart enough and got the stones to use it
    Drum roll, please . . . . . . . .. .. .. .. .

And if anyone ask - just say "because we stink"
  20. Boswell

Boswell Distinguished Moderator Resource Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Home Page:
    I was saving that name for a wind band.