1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Are Micro ATX mobo's okay?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by stikguy, Apr 9, 2006.

1. stikguy

stikguy Guest

Hello. I'm a newb to recording.org, and I found this site after watching audioforums.com get less and less active.

I'm ready to build a new DAW (home-based amateur studio) due to age on the original system and to endless frustration with never really getting it stable. I've searched the forum and found a few "here's my system" posts with the Micro ATX (socket 939) mobos. Aside from the limited number of PCI slots, is there any reason to stay away from these? I haven't needed more than one slot for as long as I've been recording, so I'm not worried about that.

I have a non-music PC that I just built with an Aspire X-QPack case (http://www.aspireusa.net/category.php?cid=41) and a Jetway Micro ATX mobo with an AMD processor, and the system's been a dream. Of course, a DAW is a rougher environment. I'd like to build a music system based with another X-QPack case (they are even semi-portable with a handle). Since the mobo is always my biggest DAW blunder, I'm hunting for solid recommendations for Micro ATX mobos.

I use Sonar 5PE, and I'll be pulling this gear off my old system:
    - Terratec EWS88MT (I know it's a quite old soundcard, but I love the breakout box and am not ready to pay for a new card with 8 inputs)
    - Matrox dual-head video card (G450)

Thanks for any suggestions.