1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Are my friends getting ripped off?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by killersoundz, Apr 12, 2005.

1. killersoundz

killersoundz Guest

Ehhh. I've got a few friends in this local punk band, and theres this guy, Chris, from the "bigtime" local punk band around here. He says his main goal is to support all of the local music and stuff, so it really gets to me how he's charging my friends to record. Well, of course, you expect to pay to cut a demo, but this guy's equipment consits of some Nady drum mics, a MXL vocal mic, a behringer mixer, some other random stuff and a computer. I guess its done in his house, possibly an apartment. He's charging $100 for it, i'm not sure how many songs, but still that just seems like busting heads to me. Maybe it's just my attitude, but if I had gear like that and recording in an apartment, I don't really think i'd be worried about making money, but thats just me.

I was going to do something for them for free but the kid who's equipment I was borrowing (8 track hard disk recorder, yamaha mixer, bunch of drum mics) took it all back haha. I'm currently saving up for gear of my own to try and get things going but i'm really starting to get more interested in live sound, so i'm not sure what i'm going to empty my wallet on.
  2. 187

187 Guest

I wouldn't wanna pay that kinda money for that low quality gear used.Even if you put that $100 into just one song at better facilty it would be more worth the money.
  3. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Distinguished Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Chicago area, IL, USA
    Home Page:
    $100 is spit compared to rates on even the most humble pro rig.

If they don't even use it, they've spent $100 for pre-production experience that will save them far more than that when they walk into a "real" studio.
  4. Costy

Costy Guest

Agree with the post above. It seems that your friends are being
    helped (not ripped off).
  5. killersoundz

killersoundz Guest

Yeah I can agree with you guys, it just got to me for some reason I'm not sure, maybe it's just how this guy talks about supporting local music and stuff. I guess he's making the cd covers and duplications himself too so I assume thats where the money's going to, so thats cool.
  6. sproll

sproll Active Member

Oct 7, 2004

I still say the easiest way for a band to get the cheapest and fastest recording is when you do a show, mic everything up, and record off the mixer. You'd be surprised how "not so bad" it can sound, even on a tape player.

Now THAT'S budget. :cool: :D
  7. frob

frob Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2004
    yea $100 bucks isnt bad, depending on what your getting. who knows he could be some genuis who just uses the cases to all this stuff and every thing inside is highly modifided. but i doubt that is the case. ive delt with many a "old wise punks" and people out just to help the sean, take them for what there worth, but take them no farther.

but then agien keep your ear open, it might just sound good.
  8. audiofreqs

audiofreqs Guest

i'm sorry, but this dude has the right to charge whatever he wants. especially $100 dollars!!!!

i have friends in the business who wouldn't do anything short of 4 figures.

heck, i just recorded a 4 song demo for a blues duo (acoustic guitar, harmonica, and vocals) for a measly $20/h. the final bill came to $250. i felt like i lost cuz, although they were good performers, they've never been recorded b4 and the session took waaay to long for a 4 song demo. i basically waved the fee for mixing.
    a good chunk of my time went to these guys.

and in my opinion recording somebody for $100 is helping them out.
  9. overlookfran

overlookfran Guest

our 3 songs demo? $2000 and counting...
  10. audiofreqs

audiofreqs Guest

is this recording time only, or does this include rentals and duplication as well?
  11. frob

frob Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2004
    i doubt that this counts any dups at all.
  12. rudedogg

rudedogg Guest

for a modest setup, $100 / song is a STEAL.

i have about 10k in equipment, and i usually charge about $20/hr for FRIENDS. 1 song can take up to 10 hours for tracking mixing and mastering depending on the arrangement.

then again, i did a favor for trade for some friends, recorded drums, bass, guitars live for 5 hours and got 10 songs tracked, but these guys were on their game musically, and had the best sounding equipment (tuned drums, 64 vox ac30, fender bassman, vintage ampeg svt)

sounded amazing for 5 hours of work. and they got each song done in 3 takes or less.

13. inLoco

inLoco Active Member

Jul 25, 2004
    totally ripped!!! here in Portugal you have so many studios like that and then people don't realize why their demos sound so bad!
    Everyone can achieve that kind of sound for much less!
  14. Sidhu

Sidhu Active Member

Mar 22, 2004
    New Delhi, India
    I usually charge a little over 100$ per song. And my equipment is below humble. I record drums using a 4mic setup (max i have) behringer pres, a NT1 for vocals, a pair of 012's and the Beta57a and Beta58a. I generally give a better end product than what proper/much more expensive studios deliver (not stating that its excellent). So no one is complaining (the initial responce might at times be less than enthusiastic). I have a two room annexe. where i live and record.

the way i look at it. If i were not to be charging even a 100USD per song.. dude, id be living here, working on this equipment forever.

100USD is CHEAP! And if you are a little skilled (in my case, a big reason for which being you guyz) a reasonable product can be delivered with low end equipment.

And yes, i do charge this ammount because often it's the best that bands here can afford. If they can afford more, ill charge more.

15. Reggie

Reggie Distinguished Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Or maybe he's right. Maybe recording should be free, just like mp3's.

16. RAIN0707

RAIN0707 Guest

I think it all comes down to one question: "how serious are they about their music?" I mean if this music and these songs are your passion and your pride and joy I think they deserve a little more than $100 bucks. Yes $100 dollars for a 3 song demo is a steal BUT you have to ask yourself if this is really the best you can do for these songs and later on down the road will you ever want to re-record them and make them better quality. Ask this guy for some of his previous work and listen to it. See how it stacks up to other places that charge a more "professional" rate and have more professional gear and a more professional atmosphere. Another question to ask is "will this demo REALLY be what you want to market yourself with?". A crappy recording can make even the best musicians sound like poop. I have seen/heard it first hand.
  17. huub

huub Guest

Hmm..I might be stupid not charging anything for recording.:? .And the gear I use is nicer (neve mixer, Neumann/dpa mics, ureis, the lot)
    But I figure as I'm still learning, I help the band out, the band helps me out, you know..
    I only record good musicians though, otherwise it's useless for me..

And also...having crappy gear doesnt neccesarily equal crappy end product..I bet It's perfectly possible to make a cool punk recording with crappy mics, a behringer (aaargh!!) mixer and a computer (with some nice plugins)..
    I could do it I'm sure..
  18. audiofreqs

audiofreqs Guest

i guess that would all depend on how far a greenback goes in portugal :D
  19. frob

frob Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2004
    i do most of my recording for free, however most of my recording me, my brother or the band i maneg
  20. Reggie

Reggie Distinguished Member

Dec 20, 2004

You are either a little stupid (no offense) or a bit rich. How do you own a Neve mixer and Neumann mics just to learn on? Did you inherit a studio from a dead uncle, or are these things just floating around really cheap for beginners to buy over there? If not, you should charge a lot of money or your gear will never pay for itself.