1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Are you experienced?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by sstockham, Aug 5, 2003.

1. sstockham

sstockham Guest

2. emedley

emedley Guest

That article is required reading whenever I get a 'gotta get signed' baby band in the room. Actually, most of the bands like to browse Fletcher's website. it's quite fun. I particularly like the 'Realities Of Life' gear picture.
  3. lorenzo gerace

lorenzo gerace Active Member

Jan 27, 2002

I certainly don't consider myself as skilled or as experienced as Mr. Albini, but I noticed a sour accent in his 20 question game about experience: I think each of us so called "engineers" knows particular areas of a so wide and vast skill set like music engineering, and thus needs years and years of constant practice and dedicated work to master a reasonable amount of it, still, I think that getting to know "everything" isn't possible; Mr. Albini poses a lot of questions about things that belong to his personal experience (though most of them are mandatory skills for an engineer), most pertaining to the analog world o recording; what if we shift the focus on subjects like DAWs, drives cache size, IRQ assignments, PCI bus speeds, CPU optimizing for Audio tasks, OSX or Win XP management, Pro Audio Software knowledge etc.., I'm sure an engineer of Mr. Albini's caliber has the necessary knowledge to work everything out, but I want to stress the point that IMO nobody in an entire life will have the ability to "know it all", so I think one shouldn't be ashamed to have areas he/she doesn't know, but a willingness to learn the most; The best engineers I worked with and learned from were the least ego-boosted (about their knowledge) people that brought me to a higher level without me even knowing it.

4. wwittman

wwittman Active Member

Apr 28, 2003
    I consider myself to be more skilled and experienced than Albini... not that that matters.
    and although he knows a lot and is a good engineer, he clearly has a PARTICULAR indier-than-thou take on the business that is just that: an individual take.
    not a bible.
  5. Steve Jones

Steve Jones Active Member

Jul 25, 2003
    Oops, he left insurance costs off his "here is the math" list...
  6. bgavin

bgavin Guest

This was a very good read for me, as my daughter's band is ripe for being approached by an A&R guy.

We are in Sacramento, and they have already been contacted by some radio station in Phoenix who got one of their CDs and is interested in promoting them.

I especially found value in the warning about signing the deal memo.
  7. NolanVenhola

NolanVenhola Guest

This is all common knowledge if you've been following the music industry at all... BUT a very good reminder for naive young bands with skill and no brains. Don't sign s*** until you know you're going to make good money off it, not just a little bit.

As an amateur engineer and musician, I have always believed in fighting for the right of the musician, the creators of the material the labels and reps are making their money off of.

My hat goes off to the VERY few bands, like Tool, Dredg, and Courtney Love who have fought and given up lots for their right to make music THEIR way.

Tool especially. They told their producer to f*** off when they finished Undertow and he wanted to cut parts out to make the songs "radio" playable. Tool gave up a bunch of money on their contract to keep complete creative control over their music, and they picked their label from the hord of labels after them due to the fact that the label would let them do that. Wish all bands had that option, guess it takes a special underground movement behind the band to make it happen.
  8. chop

chop Guest

Sorry! the guy has done some good stuff in his days, but he's made himself come across as a complete w****r in this interview.
    What a complete load of bollocks about compression.
    One mans opinion not mine.
  9. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Silvia Massey, thr producer/engineer who discovered Tool in a club is a woman an a GREAT engineer/producer. I can't imagine that scenario with her.
  10. BUZAIN

BUZAIN Guest

Who is he anyway? Don't know about him.