1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

art project

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by alexxx, Jul 26, 2010.

1. alexxx

alexxx Guest

Hi everybody - a newbie in search for help here...

I'm developing an art project, where I intend to build a sculpture housing inside it a small computer (Linux), constantly monitoring its surroundings, and recording any sound/music once it goes beyond a given threshold.
    It should successively process the sounds and react to them in different ways.

What kind of microphone should I use? I mention that it does not need to be excessively hidden, I can have some kind of opening for it.

I heard about "conference microphones", but I dont know if they're the correct choice.
    One last requirement - I'd like not to go bankrupt for this!

thanks for any help...

2. Boswell

Boswell Distinguished Moderator Resource Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Home Page:
    This is a project where a minimalist approach may work adequately, given the Linux environment. It is likely that your computer will have a built-in sound card with a microphone input that has "plug-in" power. This is a resistive source of about 3V for use with domestic-type of electret microphones. I suggest that you get a relatively low-cost omnidirectional microphone of the type made for minidisc or MP3 recorders and plug it straight in. Radio Shack have these, or you can get something like a Vivanco EM216 from Ebay suppliers or one of the Sound Professionals range from their website. Your application software receives audio from these via standard sound card drivers. An alternative at a slightly higher cost would be to use a USB microphone, but you may be limited in choice if you need one with a Linux driver.

Your problem is probably not going to be choosing a microphone, but how to process the incoming audio and react to it in the ways you described. Do you have a method worked out for this?
  3. alexxx

alexxx Guest

I'm still at the drawing board for this...
    I wanted to write the software early on by testing it on my main PC using a standard mic, but I've not been lucky so far, since try as I might, the audio is still incredibly low - I dont know if it is why I chose the wrong mic or I'm unable to set the rec levels correctly...