1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

AT5040

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by audiokid, Nov 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

wow, AT5040. This mic looks real nice!
    List is $2999

I want.

Check out the video on the website.

Four-part rectangular element

The first of our design criteria for the AT5040 was purity of sound. To achieve this, Audio-Technica engineers developed a four-part rectangular element, the pinnacle of our recent breakthroughs in sound-capture technology. Four exquisitely matched ultra-thin diaphragms function together (with outputs proprietarily summed) as Audio-Technica's largest-ever element, providing combined surface area twice that of a standard one-inch circular diaphragm.

By using four diaphragms in a single capsule, the AT5040 delivers the benefits of an exceptionally large diaphragm — along with an extremely low noise floor — without increased weight, decreased transient response or other drawbacks that typically restrict diaphragm size.

Another key AT5040 design feature is advanced internal shock mounting that effectively decouples the capsule from the microphone body. For additional isolation, each AT5040 is also provided with Audio-Technica's innovative new AT8480 shock mount.
    100% quality control

Every AT5040 is hand assembled and individually inspected for 100% quality control. Each microphone is enclosed in an elegant housing of aluminum and brass with high-quality gray finish for durability and low reflectivity. Discrete components have been selected for optimized capsule performance; in fact, every aspect of the microphone has been carefully considered to minimize any effects on the audio signal.
    Pure innovation

As much as we admire the great microphones of the world, this new 50 Series cardioid condenser is pure innovation, not emulation. Wherever your passion for music takes you, listen for the purity, presence, depth and detail of Audio-Technica's AT5040, our new standard in studio condenser microphones.

2. pan60

pan60 Active Member

hmmm.
    Looks interesting.

3. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Certainly is interesting. I haven't seen anything like that four-capsules-in-a-plane design.

4. pan60

pan60 Active Member

Looks like each capsules membrane has been etched ( or maybe plated that way ), to represent many small round membranes. Maybe each capsules acts like a crap load of tiny capacitor type mic's. super tiny small true conceder mics.

Maybe one of the first AT mics to appeal to me. Never dislike them just never seen a need to just buy one. i to many mics already. plus i love dynamics and seem to also blow what little blow money i have to blow on these beauties ; )~

5. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

Looks to be interesting but almost $3000, it should be. This single microphone will never be able to replace 30 SM-57's. I've just never been excited by the sound of Japanese microphones. I was actually rather unimpressed with the SANKEN CU 44's, with their double capsule design. I wouldn't walk across the street to buy one. Online New Zealand record job, I was given John Ergle's 44's, which the producer and owner of the label wanted me to use in addition to all of my own, as per their primary engineer, John. Who was booked for another job and so could not do this one. So that was a pair of spaced cardioid's instead of the MS pair I wanted to use. Not even with the mixer I wanted to use and I still got a Grammy nomination. This was back in 1992 when all we had was still 16 bit, 44.1 kHz DAT recorders. That recording would still fair well today even at 16 bit, 44.1 kHz. You think somebody's going to notice I only have a 96 DB signal-to-noise ratio? That my resolution is only 16 bit? Get real. They listen to your recordings to see what they sound like. They don't listen 24-bit, 96 kHz because that's not how recordings are released. Virtually everything they get to evaluate is a 16-bit, 44.1 kHz. So you're not going to win any brownie points with any kind of high resolution blah blah, except in your own head. They just want to hear a good recording. And that really transcends any technical nonsense. So it's a cool hobby to buy and try out all sorts of equipment. It doesn't necessarily indicate that you are better engineer than anybody else.

The high resolution remix website of high definition songs, is about as specialized as owning a Lamborghini. Do you really think anybody gives a crap between that overprocessed version and the version with greater dynamic range? There were definitely aspects of the CD version I like much better. It was more aggressive sounding. Which was actually due to the overprocessed thing and the clipping. I thought that was rather creative clipping they utilized? Did it cause any monitoring problems or digital over clicks? No it did not. So it's another hunk of junk that supposedly better than all of the other hunks of junk. And did you see the price on the unit? Not something most folks would consider readily affordable. And who do we really have here but a bunch of entry level folks, with cheap USB boxes they got at the music store and a handful of cheap Chinese condenser microphones? I can just see everybody rushing right out to buy these things. Not. You might? Some one or two others might? Rich folks, no problem. Big studios, no problem. BFD. I'm not impressed. Now if this did DSD, I might have found it more relevant?

I'm really skeptical about this one.
    Mx. Remy Ann David

6. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

There's a lot of German mics at this price point. High-end boutique-one-at-a-time manufacturers too. But, given Audio Technicas' track record, this one will probably compete. Its nice to see a major manufacturer shooting for a better mousetrap when all they really have to do at this point is rest on their previous success. I guess thats one reason all their mic lines sound so frikkin good.......Yeah...those Japaneses mics just dont cut it...that Sony thing....C800 or sumthin....whatta piece.....

A person could make some pretty darn good recordings with a bag of AudioTechnicas and some nice pres.........just sayin......

7. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

I, too, was intrigued when I read about this on HC. Then the price reared its' ugly head...Like DD stated, that puts it in the market with a good number of other "boutique" brands, plus the usual suspects (Neumann, DPA, MG, etc.).
    I love the A-T's that I have (4047's, 4050's,ATM25,ATM63,etc). The 40 series certainly gives the modern Euro mics a run for the money, but they are nowhere near that price point. I wish them well...

8. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Has any tried this yet? Man, it looks awesome. My need for mics is diminishing but I still would love to have this in my locker, maybe just have it by my bed at night too.
    Love to hear from people who have tried this beauty.

9. Davedog

My local Professional Audio Store Who Has A Lot Of My Money has a demo. I got the tire kicking but no actual usage yet. I have to get in line. From the description of my friends there, You Really NEED this mic. This from someone who has recorded several tunes on my vintage U87. So when I do get to actually hear it I'll let you know. I can't afford it now and have a lot of choices in my bag'o mics but they tell me its better than everything they have in their locker.....this includes a Bock 251.......hmmmmm

10. pan60

pan60 Active Member

keep us posted!

11. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Here's how out of touch I am with new gear...

Audio Technica's main corporate HQ is like maybe 15 miles from my house; I drive by it all the time, I know people who work there...

...and I end up hearing about this mic from a guy that lives 5000+ miles away from me. LOL

12. pan60

pan60 Active Member

LOL : )

13. DJTempo

DJTempo Member

I still don't believe this one... but... I was going through a local pawn shop... and I found one of these... and they obviously didn't know what they had. Took it home for $249. Like when you see a $10 bill lying on the ground, you put your foot on it, you look around to make sure no one is looking, you pick it up and keep walking. I just took it to the desk, and paid full price for it. I didn't want them looking it up...

I have quite a few mics, including a 414, a Octava Mods mod'd Rode NT-1A with the Neumann U87 capsule (wow!), a few ribbons, an AT 4033.

This one sounds... great? I've used it on my voice, a female singer, and 2 recordings that I just set up the 5040 Center with a pair of Bonnell mod'd NT-1A's in an X/Y format. Very pleased with the results. NO sibilance, bass present but not boomy, etc, etc, etc. Thing that always catches my ear... remarkably low noise floor.

I'd say it lives up to it's specs, but is it the right mic for you? Only your ears will tell.

Did you know the Depeche Mode guys used an AKG C1000 to do most of the vocals on their first album? (Speak and Spell)?

"Don't believe the hype".

14. RemyRAD

You've found one of these what? Obviously it's a microphone? What microphone?

Sorry to burst your bubble but that microphone you have that you think has a Neumann 87 capsule? It's not an 87 capsule. It is a Chinese imitation made in a similar manner to the 87 capsule. The real 87 capsule is about $800. $80 from China. And they make the diaphragm thinner around 3 mils and not the 6 you find on the 87. Because if it was 6 mils it wouldn't be very bright sounding. In fact it would sound more clouded. So it's not an 87. What ya see people selling these things all the time telling you that " this is a Neumann 67/87 capsule ". That's a lie. The 67 capsule and the 87 capsule are not interchangeable. They are quite different from each other. It's like that commercial on-air. This guy and this woman are talking about the Internet. She says anything is posted on the Internet has to be the truth. He asked where she heard that. She replied in a duet with him " on the Internet ". Then she says " oh here's my date. I met him on the Internet. He's a French model." And Mr. Fat Redneck says "Bone Jur" & leaves with a sly smile. And that's your 87 capsule. Got it off the Internet didn't you? Not from Neumann. So it's a fake imitation counterfeit Chinese thing. Sorry about that chief... missed it by that much.

How do I know this? I have a pair of each of the originals. I have now for over 20 years. Closer to 30 actually. I'm losing track of time! There are also all these people getting these big diaphragm replacement capsules with these much thinner diaphragms. They're over bright sounding. Crispy, thin. Not the way a Neumann was designed to sound. You wouldn't like an 87 if you had one. You'd like a 67 even less. And they are dull sounding. Exactly what I want from them. It's not about the thin crispy high and that you hear. It's about the meat and potatoes that you get. Please don't forget that.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with your microphones. They are perfectly lovely. Good on a lot of things. I wouldn't want them for myself. I'd rather have a bag full of 57 & 58's over any of those microphones you have. My 87's sound a lot like 58's. So if you really want to hear an 87 listen to a 58. I am not kidding. I am not fooling. I am not pulling your leg. I am not being a smartass even though I am LOL. I know what I know. So while that might be an improvement you feel to your microphone sound ain't no way it sounds anything like an 87, guaranteed. But it likely does sound good. And that's all that really matters when you are creating art. There is no right or wrong. I don't have the right microphone if I can't make the right recording with. But I can and I do. So do you with what you have. So it's all good. I just want you to know this. Because I know what's going on I've worked in the manufacturing and of pro audio more than 30 years ago. Nothing has changed other than where it comes from, the quality of it and how long it lasts. We are still sending little electrons on up copper wires. That has not changed. Now we get true optical microphones that only have a digital output without any kind of conversion whatsoever, we'll be into a new era. We're not there yet. Maybe another 10 years? And maybe never? So far, Neumann, Sennheiser, David Schwartz and a few others have created true digital optical microphones. They don't yet sound good enough for studio applications. Fine for the FBI. And this is what Neumann and Sennheiser Corp. told me to my face. Not sure if they created a microphone with my concept design? Somebody else owns my patent LOL. And it's because I talk too much. I know my design is not only going to work good it's going to sound good. It does not yet exist but I can hear it working already from the little voices in my head. And I know my design is the right design. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out but it does. And I don't know any rocket scientists over at NASA Goddard that want to help me design my digital microphone? I even talked to George Massenburg about it some years ago and he couldn't talk to me about it because he was under contract from two other companies to try to come up with something like that. Obviously it never happened. We're not there yet. But I think we are. And if I could build one my way I'd show all y'all. And it really would look any different from any condenser microphone you see today. You won't even see the laser. The laser is inside. And that person who patented the concept I know I must've told us to. It's nearly verbatim of the way I had described my concept design. But the picture is not. He got it really wrong there. Way off. Won't work that way. But my description verbatim. Everybody wants to rip somebody else off today. Everybody's got to make a buck. So I know how to change my design to thwart his patent of my concept. Screw him. I don't even know the guy in Iowa. But I think I might know who it is? It was a guy I was sitting with on a plane. He was an avionics electrical engineer. And we talked about this for quite some time during the flight. I think it's him or a friend of his or somebody that was a friend of his friend? The electrical engineers are extremely opportunistic and the work that they do. Millions of dollars are on the line. And as everybody knows here... I talk too much. So I screwed up.

At 57 you'd think I would have learned that that was 20 years ago LOL. That was only just patented. So I've got a better way to do it now. And who knows? It might die with me? Heck, I accidentally discovered quadraphonic when I wasn't quite yet 14 completely by accident. And I had surroundsound going in my bedroom at 13 1/2 years of age. And it was using all of the phase matrix tricks I still use today. APHEX, was also, a lovely mistake originally in wiring. And so, these things still happen. And you don't have to be a genius to accomplish this. In fact it can be done out of naïveté in stupidity. It's not necessarily clinical or scientific. It's a mistake that works. And this is where I find it funny where everybody discusses the design concept behind the product. Well there was no design concept it was a mistake. And lots of things go that way.

For instance another little piece of trivia that most people do not know anything about. And it should be taught in public schools. Who invented the first battery that could work in space?... No ideas? Everybody here knows the answer, everybody. So give me the answer?

Let's see what everybody knows?
    Mx. Remy Ann David

15. RemyRAD

I'm still waiting...

16. audiokid

audiokid Staff

These haven't been out long enough to be in any pawn shop. I find this practically impossible to believe. Its either hot as a fire cracker or this post is to hot to handle.

17. Davedog

They have not been released for sale for sale yet. the demo i have heard is serial number 001. Sorry but its not the mic we are talking about.

18. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Well if this was gearslutz, this guy would draw more of the same until our site was full of it. I smell BS right from the start on this one. Don't need this. Normally I wouldn't do this but I would like to see this mic? Please take a picture for us. we are all waiting?

19. RemyRAD

That's why I was confused LOL? Yeah that 4050? I couldn't possibly think he was actually referring to that microphone? Nobody's heard it. What it only hit the magazines a couple of months ago? He's probably got one of the $100 versions by the same company LOL? They all look the same don't they over there? Baja ha ha Ha! That, I had a good guffaw.

OMG 3:30 AM EST
    Mx. Remy Ann David

20. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

No, you really didn't.

You may have picked up a 4050, but you didn't get a 5040.

I spoke to a friend at AT over the weekend ( AT's world HQ is about 15 minutes from my house and I know several guys that work there)...and he was hesitant to even give me a tentative broad scale commercial release date on this mic, (although he did) and with the exception of the handful that have been released for review or beta test, they aren't even on the market yet.

So, unless you work for SOS, Mix, or are an authorized AT dealer that does big numbers, you do not have a 5040, or even access to one.

Take your own advice. ;)