1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Atmosphere Soft Synth/Samples

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Barkingdogstudios, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Barkingdogstudios

Barkingdogstudios Active Member

Hi,

I am working on a project with some folks where we're using midi horns and strings along with live bass, drums, keys and three vocalists.

I have recorded my live drums along with the midi tracks and the more I listen to it, the more "cheezy" the horn and string parts sound.
    I'm using SONAR XL and a Korg X5RD module.

A friend of mine raved about Atmosphere as a sample package. Has anyone heard about it? What little I could find says it's pretty good especially in the strings department. Can anyone recommend a good package for adding midi strings and horns? Thanks.

2. dabmeister music

dabmeister music Active Member

Have you checked out either "Gigasampler" or "MOTU's Mach 5" s/w package? I hear both are very good samplers. I've seen what the motu can do. It blew my mind. And I was amazed with the quality of the samples especially coming from a guy who uses all sorts of hardware sound modules.

3. Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer Active Member

Dog,

> Can anyone recommend a good package for adding midi strings and horns? <

I use Sonar and rely entirely on SoundFonts. If your budget is large and you don't mind a lot of added complication, GigaStudio and libraries for it sound good. But to me the disadvantages of the Giga stuff far outweight the advantages.

I use LiveSynth Pro as a SoundFont player with Sonar because it's very simple and uses very little CPU. The company that made it is no longer around but you might be able to find a copy somewhere.

--Ethan

4. Barkingdogstudios

Ethan,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been trying to find out where I can get a copy of LiveSynth Pro without any luck. I'm going to contact Cakewalk tomorrow to see what they suggest. I noticed that VSampler 3.0 comes with SONAR 3 and that it can play soundfont sounds as well. Maybe that's what the folks at Cakewalk are going with in the absense of LiveSynth Pro.

Cheers.

5. Jan Folkson

Jan Folkson Guest

Atmosphere is great, but there are only a few 'real' string patches which are useful in certain situations. It really shines on ambient textures and pads. I'd try the demo before you buy to make sure that it will serve your needs.

HTH.

6. Ethan Winer

Dog,

> I noticed that VSampler 3.0 comes with SONAR 3 and that it can play soundfont sounds as well. <

Yes, but VS has a lot of extra features so it hogs the CPU quite a bit more than LSP. Send me an email to ethanw at ethanwiner dot com and I'll see what I can come up with for you.

--Ethan

7. UncleBob58

UncleBob58 Active Member

Having the best samples and synths helps, but nothing can beat great programming.

Avoid horn "chords" from one patch. Use a different sound for each part. Double the same way.

Perform the parts in real time and DO NOT quantize. If you cannot play that well, use a groove quantize or humanize feature in the sequencer.

Work on tunings. Bb instruments tend to be sharp on the B and F#. Strings get sharper as the volume increases.

Horns and strings will be slightly "rushed" depending upon attack times.

Use a good stereo spread simulating the positions of the real instruments.

:p:

8. Barkingdogstudios

Ethan,

Ok, I called Cakewalk this morning and they said that the makers of "LiveSynth" just "sort of disappeared ... stopped answering their phone". I upgraded to SONAR 3 anyway partially to get VSampler but mostly to get the new features (VSampler on it's own is almost as much as the $199 for the upgrade!).

In the meantime, the sales guy at Cakewalk told me I can just re-install LiveSynth off of the SONAR XL installation disk. It's only good for another thirty days though. I downloaded some sound font files from soundfonts.com. They are considerably better than the sounds coming from the Korg module. I have also looked on other sites. There seems to be quite a range of prices and quality. Do you have a favourite source of font files?

In any case, thanks for your help.

9. Ethan Winer

Dog,

> It's only good for another thirty days though. <

Right, so what good is that? :td:

> I downloaded some sound font files ... Do you have a favourite source of font files? <

I have a lot of very high quality public domain SoundFonts. Again, if you email me with your address I'll be glad to send you my collection.

--Ethan

10. mjones4th

mjones4th Active Member

I've heard that SFZ is a good windows vst souindfont player, and its free to boot. there's also a + version for like $50 if you need more features.

Try here for some free soundfonts. Also this forumis home to rgc:audio the creators of sfz.

http://www.kvr-vst.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28724

Sampletank 2 is another (expensive) option.

11. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

For better articulation I perform each part seperately, and don't quantize so I can get a little human variation.

When working with sampled phrases,works sometimes also but you have to work with what's available.
    :cool:

12. falkon2

falkon2 Well-Known Member

Using manual autotune and volume enveloping on parts, especially strings, can actually work wonders. Time consuming though, but if it's your thing to endlessly tweak... :D

13. VMX

VMX Guest

Does anyone know of any freeware to merge several soundfonts into one, that doesn't require a Creative Labs soundcard?
    I plan on using the sfz player.