1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

audio HD performance...

Discussion in 'Recording' started by axel, May 17, 2005.

1. axel

axel Guest

i have a (maybee already 1000times asked) question about audio HD's, what is the best performing and reliable drive for a power mac in your opinion and experience... for audio recording / playback.
  2. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Distinguished Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Kirkland WA
    Home Page:
    Internal, external? :p
  3. maintiger

maintiger Distinguished Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Whittier, California, USA
    Home Page:
    I've been using 72000 rpm maxtors with my macs for several years with no issues- four of them with my dual 867 (which am retiring) and my new dual G5 2.0 came with a 160 GB maxtor and I ordered another one (250 GB SATA maxtor) I also have a couple extra maxtors out in a firewire enclosure- that's been my real life experience - I did have a problem with one of the maxtors several years ago- seems that the directory got damaged- a friend of mine who is a tech was able to get it up and running, then I retrieved most of the info (I lost a partition) and reformatted the drive. It is still running in the firewire enclosure (120 GB maxtor) All together I have 2 250 GB maxtors, 5 160 GB maxtor and 2 120 GB maxtor. needless to say i have all my projects backed up to more than one of he drives. that has been my experience.
  4. axel

axel Guest

thanks, xavier
    any other experiences, out there ??
    both internal and firewire!
    thanks guys
  5. I mostly buy Seagate drives. However, Seagate, Western Digital, and Maxtor drives have all been pretty stable in use here at work (even though I'm not a Maxtor fan). Some of the drives make more noise than others. If you read the reviews on newegg.com, you can get some idea of which drives are quietest.
  6. axel

axel Guest

cheers :D