1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

audio interface reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Hydrowolftd, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Hydrowolftd

Hydrowolftd Guest

im planning on getting a laptop for school in the fall and ive been told you cant upgrade the soundcards or anything.
    im using the behringer eurorack FX mixer with the nady drum mic kit.
    I wish to record drums guitars and vocals through the mixer and im wondering if there are any good bargains for what i want to do or if i should just get a basic usb interface with an XLR imput?

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

Sure you can upgrade the audio on a laptop. You can upgrade it by utilizing a USB or FireWire audio interface. Now that's an external device to the laptop. Your information is correct in that you cannot upgrade the sound " card" inside the laptop.

Most USB interfaces have a limited number of inputs. Whereas the FireWire interfaces frequently allow for 8 or more simultaneous inputs. Of course with increased input count and microphone preamplifiers, you will pay accordingly more. Figure $500 to $1200 for a quality 8 microphone input FireWire device. Whereas you get a far better 2 microphone input USB devices for $100 to $500. Regardless of what audio interface you choose, you will generally find a piece of quality bundled software included with the audio device.

Hope you get good grades?
    Ms. Remy Ann David

3. Spase

Spase Active Member

Emu makes an interface that works well with laptops. The 1616 and the 1616m (better converters) which do up to 16 channels (in and out) and come with a nice software bundle too.

4. Hydrowolftd

Hydrowolftd Guest

great! thanks a lot