1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Audio interfaces and mixers

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by VeeRock, Sep 28, 2016.

1. VeeRock

VeeRock Member

how do I connect my mixer, audio interface and computer?And can my USB mixer substitute my interface

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

We can't answer this in any detail without your telling us the makes and model numbers of your gear. However, an entry-level mixer that has a USB interface can usually send the two-track (stereo) mix directly to a computer without going through a separate audio interface. Mixers of this level do not have the ability to send the output of individual channels to the computer.

If you want to record several separate channels to the computer for later mixing, you should do this through the audio interface, and not involve the mixer at all. Only if you have more signals to record than the interface has inputs would you look at maybe using the mixer to reduce a group of channels (e.g. the microphones on a drum kit) to a stereo pair, and then feeding this pair through two channels of the audio interface. You can't send data into the computer though both the mixer and the audio interface at the same time unless you have a Macintosh and use its aggregating inputs.

pcrecord likes this.
  3. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

Bos did answer very well. If I may add, with the makes of the equipement, we will also be able to evaluate which of the two is the best to use.