1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Authorized Pro Tools/HD info

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by Darren@dixondigital.com, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Greetings all,

I thought I'd pass on some info about the New Pro Tools/HD systems. This isn't a plug it is just FYI. This topic seemed to be realy hot on the Digi boards. I am an authorized Digidesign TDM Dealer and I got the news late today. The info is only partial, but it give you the ideas. The main system is 192k sample rate at 24 bits, a whopping 128 tracks! over 128 aux. returns, 128 midi as before. The system is going to run on the same Pro Tools Software until an upgrade (that wasn't mentioned) is released. The are two I/Os 192k and 96k.

Anyway I thought everyone might like to know. If you want to know more I put alot of the detail on our website.

http://www.dixondigital.com

Darren
    Dixon Digital

2. Irene

Irene Guest

Any idea on the prices of HD 1,2 and 3?

thanks

Renie

3. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Some questions...

Upgrade path?
    Trade in procedure?
    Operating at 44.1 with Apogee AD8K's?

Features that the new cards offer?
    New software due date?

4. The price is the same as the mix was.

HD1 list $7995
    HD2 list $9995
    HD3 list $11,995

Check out this link for more specific details and list prices including the I/Os

The old I/Os with still work through a "Legacy" port and their price has not changed.

I'm not sure about an upgrade path other than if users bought a mix sytem After 1/17/02 at old price.

The mix systems pretty much went down $2k on each one.

The new systems will be totally backwards compatable, and I assume that the apogee converters will still work through the legacy port or through AES/EBU ins or wich ever digital format is of preference.

I believe you can still use 44.1k, 48k converters on the same session when it goes through the new Digi I/Os. I'm not for sure I haven't received my full info pack yet that gets down to ALL the specifics.

Check out the website its pretty interesting.

Darren
    Dixon Digital

5. AnthonyBK

AnthonyBK Active Member

Home Page:
    Sooo Darren,

How long have you had these suicidal tendencies? At least the financial ones :)

We still don't know how much actual processing power is on these cards however (e.g 3x a mix farm).

6. Mark Haliday

Mark Haliday Guest

Has digi pulled the plug on the duc to avoid endless speculation or is it just a bb-crash ? can't seem to connect to it anymore.

7. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

OK what would be the recomended PT upgrade for:

2 x Apogee AD8000SE's
    1 x 888/16 for digital i/o of 41/48 AES gear
    1 x mix core
    3 x mix farms
    1 x vintage farm

I might wish to keep the Apogees.

I know I want the new cards..

I am confused on the interfaces and what would work best for me.

I wonder if Apogee will reverse engineer a hook up, direct to the cards... (Save me $2K or $4K if they did...)

Also HOW MANY legasy interfaces can one hook up to the back of each interface (2 via Y cable?)

What is missing from your site is any info at all on the cards. DO POST UP as soon as you have any of that please!!!!

Thanks!

:)

8. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

YES YES YES

I am so stoked....the new Pro Tools looks better and answers all the knocks against their current system, x10! I'll be out of my Mix Plus and into an HD3 by years end. The last 2years of working primarily in PT is gonna pay-off big time now.
    The death of Analog is nearer than you may wnat to believe...

9. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

I sincerly hope you are right!

10. O.K Guys I've got some more news. I talked to my Digidesign rep today, and it seems I jumped the gun and kinda spilled the beans unknowingly. I wasn't suposed to let anybody know about the new system until NAMM! The thing is Digidesign forgot to tell me this. Digidesign was very cool about asking me to take down the info off my site until NAMM when it is officialy released.

I was excited as all of you guys are and I wanted to share the GOOD news! I had it up on our website just hours after receiving it. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to talk about it until NAMM when the offical release is. Sorry to get everybody so hyped and not be able give you any more info... yet. I will be checking this BB regularly, and making notes of your questions and studying up so I can answer all of them. I should be getting an info pack in the mail soon.

Digi has addressed many of the issues on the previous systems. And Take it from me Digi is keeping with their habits of giving us something that is sooo cool that it makes buying new gear fun again!! I Love it and I am pumped!! I am looking forward to getting our New Demo system!!

Only six more days until NAMM

Thanks for the support!

Darren
    Dixon Digital

11. Anthony,

>Sooo Darren,

How long have you had these suicidal tendencies? At least the financial ones >>

I don't get it...

I don't know the specifics yet on the new system and its power. Just know its bigger and better, and more efficiant.

Darren
    Dixon Digital

12. Opus2000

Opus2000 Distinguished Member

Hey guys...we at Apogee are highly anticipating the Namm show as well and will give more of an official statement as to what the hell is going to happen soon after that...the legacy port does look like it's a possibility but no true say until we actually chat with our friendly Digi folk!
    Even the possibility of going AES out of the AD8000's would be nice but I think most AD8000 users like the fact that the new Digi8+ card can make it so Pro Tools can change the sample rate from within!!
    I'm sure we will see you all at the Namm show!! Look forward to it
    Peace
    Opus

13. AnthonyBK

AnthonyBK Active Member

Home Page:
    Well considering how Digidesign has been jumping on just about anything or anyone that releases information in regards to the new Pro-tools - I'm surprised you're not on the rack right now!

14. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Opus from Apogee wrote:

"Even the possibility of going AES out of the AD8000's would be nice but I think most AD8000 users like the fact that the new Digi8+ card can make it so Pro Tools can change the sample rate from within!!"

Er.. I beg to differ, direct connection to the cards..now THAT is cool. Remote switching of sample rate? - I frankly, could not care less... I mean I dig the new card free (thanks) n all but.....it's not important in the grand scheme of things, at least for me..

Just my opinion...

Please report back here from NAMM everyone! DANG! Makes me want to hop on a plane again!

15. Jules,

I'll be there with my digital camera :D , The day I get back It will be up on the website. If I can get hotel internet access It will be up sooner so keep checking our site. I think Digidesing has the main stage to demo the system Friday at around 11:00 am if I remember correctly. I love it!

Well considering how Digidesign has been jumping on just about anything or anyone that releases information in regards to the new Pro-tools - I'm surprised you're not on the rack right now!

Ant,
    I get it now.... sometimes it takes me a while. Yeah I know what you mean. I thought it was really classy how my rep called me personally to "ask" me. He was very cool and nice.

5 more days!

I'll keep everybody posted.

Darren
    Dixon Digital

16. Jay Hudson

Jay Hudson Guest

Bigger harddrives?Longer backup time? Anyone know what Rupurt Neve has been up to lately?

17. flymax

flymax Guest

Hey Darren,
    I've got to come clean. I posted your link on the Digi sight right after you posted it here. It got deleted in a flash. Anyhow, I hope I didn't cause you any probs.
    -Pete

18. Pete,

You're cool man, no slack. It's all love, and I am still a dealer :D

You can copy my posts anytime..

Darren
    Dixon Digital

19. well .... this one is over on Frangioni's forum .... wonder how they got their info and if digi allows this one :

http://homerecording.about.com/library/weekly/aa011702a.htm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

20. jriggs

jriggs Guest

Hey Chris, thanks for the link. Man it looks like the 192 is going to be double the price of the 96. 16 I/O at 192 whew! I wonder how good the clock will be. Apogee has been topping the ol' 888 for a while. Also i wonder if the soft clip limiter will sound "natural". Man at a 4k price tag, if it sounds great, buying gear this year is gonna get fun. (i wonder if apogee will have an answer to this product)

HD3 withe the 192 seems the way to go, but we'll have to see it up close at the show.