1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Auto tune

Discussion in 'Recording' started by jX, May 19, 2007.

1. jX

jX Guest

Hey guys been a while but i'm trying to get back on track with my music..

So here's a question.

I need something to help with some minor pitching that may occur and to get a cleaner tone in the singing.

Some pitch correction never hurts a track i guess :)

So, if i am thinking of recording in the home studio should i go for Auto tune or melodyne? which of the software pitch corrections are the better for the money?

And furthermore are the hardware counterparts better than the software versions and should i check into those perhaps more?

Whats your take on it?

2. David French

David French Distinguished Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Go with Melodyne Uno. It's better and cheaper than Auto-Tune. I haven't touched Auto-Tune since I started using Melodyne.
  3. jX

jX Guest

so you would also recommend software above hardware or?

Whats the pros cons of hardware vs software?
  4. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

May 28, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    Home Page:
    The hardware runs the software. The hardware is mobile, and in the case of Autotune, does not give you the GUI, which is essential.

I would recommend the Waves Tune and the Melodyne stuff.

As far as tone goes, you need to work on the voice. Ideally you would work on the voice for pitch as well, but we are now a fake, lazy society, accepting of no-talent-having, lip sync'd performances.
  5. jX

jX Guest

:) Yeah, i've been too lazy to do my vocal practices :(
    But i'm not a bad singer, i just need to get my s**t together and improve but this will atleast help to make it sound more smooth to get a 'perfect' sounding take for demo's etc...

But thanks for the input.

I've never heard of waves tune before. Just looked at their homepage seemed good.

Okay i've done some research and i think i'm going for Melodyne.
    Which one should i go for?

Melodyne Uno or Melodyne Plugin
  6. Robak

Robak Active Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Go for Melodyne Plugin. I did and I'm happy with it. It works just like ordinary plugin but you need to transfer your track to it. It will save you lots of time if you work with a host like Cubase/Logic...
  7. jX

jX Guest

Ye i just read up on that Thx i will go for the melodyne plugin.

thx to the others that replied and this thread is now over :D
  8. multoc

multoc Active Member

Jun 18, 2005
    I've checked out a demo of it, i don't really like it I can't understand how to make anything work and the Manual wasn't much help......any tips?
  9. reginald

reginald Guest

Why not just focus on improving ur vocals another trick is to use abit of reverb on headphones while recording. it really helps to pitch