1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Avalon AD2022 Preamp Question

Discussion in 'Preamps & Processing' started by RickShepherd, Jun 22, 2005.

1. RickShepherd

RickShepherd Guest

I was noticing that when I turn on my power strip/surge protector to get power to my AD2022, the channel 1 VU meter dances up and down real hard. Is this a problem, or can the preamp be damaged by this. Hell, the preamp doesn't have a pwer switch, and if I turn the input to lowest level, it still dances around. Any thoughts?
  2. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    NOOOOOOOO! Do NOT let that happen!
    That little needle is easily broken, by allowing that to happen. Those needles are real (very, very-I might add) sensitive, and you need to find a way to keep "all that" jumping around to a minimum.
    Turn it off first, before you turn everything else off.
    I've never broke a needle off. But it is easily done, from what I understand.
  3. RickShepherd

RickShepherd Guest

Hmmmm, I am not sure if you read this right, the jumping occurs when I turn it on, not off. Do I need to make sure mics are not plugged in first before powering up?
  4. hociman

hociman Active Member

May 29, 2005
    Home Page:

Try making sure that the phantom power is off when you power up the unit. The meter will jump a bit when powered up. I have AD2022s that do this, and my meters are still working.