1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Avalon pre amp

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by westshore, May 19, 2005.

1. westshore

westshore Guest

What have you heard of the quality of the VT-737sp combo? Is it as good as seperate pre-amp and compressor from avalon?
  2. JBsound

JBsound Guest

Most people feel that the preamp in the 737, although it is a quality piece, is not anything spectacular. It's pretty popular as a bass DI though, and is a decent pre. One of the causes for the unit's popularity is the EQ. It is a pretty good EQ.

I have the Avalon AD-2022 which is a solid state pre as opposed to the tube in the 737. I can tell you that it is a great preamp, very clean and open, but will still give you a full sound. This is Avalon's flagship unit and probably the most highly regarded when it comes to sound.
  3. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    The 2022 is two Avalon M5's side by side, so if you want to just get one M5 then you could go that route. Soundpure dot com has a killer price on the M5's.
  4. JBsound

JBsound Guest

That is true...the M5 is a good route. Avalon claims that there is some differences between the M5 and the Ad2022, but I had an M5 for a while and it sounded just like my AD2022. It's a great deal too.
  5. shanabit

shanabit Active Member

Dec 7, 2004
    I dont have any complaints with my 737sp. Cool unit and pretty versatile. Works well with many mics.
  6. overlookfran

overlookfran Guest

avalon even says themselves that the pres in the 737 arent as high quality as the M5. as is usual with most channel strips.
    but anything avalon is killer pretty much tho...
  7. Dr_Simon

Dr_Simon Guest

My 737 arrived Wed (finally) and it like a BIG sexy gorilla !!!

Im still playing with it (tubes are just about brunt in now !) been doing clean stratty "quacking" guitar this evening going direct.

It is lovely !!
  8. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    Watch it buddy. I can understand your excitement, but "a BIG sexy gorilla"? :shock:
  9. Dr_Simon

Dr_Simon Guest

year man to day is the day we connect LDCs !!! Woohoo ! I cant wait to hook up the AKG 414 !!!
  10. wafuradio

wafuradio Guest

i have used the 737 and did not like it at all... i much preferred the M5. i use the m5 on everything. i found the 737 to be harsh or exaggerated... not exactly sure how to explain it.
  11. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    Ouch :!: Guess I'll stratch that one off the list :wink:
    But I will have to get that M5 sooooon!
    Anybody have a favorite mic to use on the M5?
    Please don't say a frinkin 57 :x
  12. Dr_Simon

Dr_Simon Guest

57 ???

Sorry mate couldn't resist !!
  13. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :shock: :cry: