1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Sir Dingo, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Sir Dingo

Sir Dingo Guest

I'm tracking most of my overdubs through an Avalon 737 direct to a Tascam DA-38 digital multitrack. I'm extremely pleased with the sound of the Avalon on nearly everything, but the DA-38 sounds "harsh" to my ears, like almost "too clean". I also mixdown through an 8000 digital console. Although I'd like to invest in a RADAR 24, I haven't yet won the lotto, so it could be a while before I get the RADAR.

SO, in the meantime, would there be any benefit to me buying an analog 2-track, like a Studer A810, and tracking through the Avalon direct to the Studer, then copying the Studer track to the DA-38??

Just wondering if anyone's doing this and can forsee any major problems (Sync/Timecode, etc)?

2. Screws

Screws Active Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Home Page:
    For a similar tonal effect, get a Fatso. That's what I use to my Tascam DA88/38. Also, get a better A to D converter like a Lucid or Apogee.

To kill two birds with one stone, get the Crane Song HEDD. Tape saturation effects with stellar A to D conversion in one box.