1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You' by Led Zeppelin

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Lyle Kristeen, Jun 2, 2003.

1. I'm having an argument with my friend about this song. I say the whole song is acoustic, even the heavy crashing choruses. He says there is clean electric guitar in the chorus, possibly even distorted too.

What do you guys think? Is there any info on the net about what guitars were actually used on it, or the production techniques used or the making of any Led Zeppelin album

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Lyle,
    It starts with acoustic but it moves into electric guitar later into the song. Kurt

3. Rader Ranch

Rader Ranch Member

well, i should listen again before answering i'm sure, but if memory serves me, it's all acoustic but for one electric slide in the middle and the last chord of the song (which i always felt was a little over the top, or, at least, sounds a bit dated now)....but it's the fact that it's a freaking really heavy tune, yet only acoustic, that makes it so cool. i could swear the Who did a song or 2 like that also, but, as i'm hearing the 'Blue Danube' on hold right now i'm spacing... :d:

i don't know of any particular sites for info, though you'd think there'd have to be some somewhere.....plenty of folks interested in Led Zep sounds/Page's production style etc...

4. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

there are local bands here that play Led Z. for many years.
    We call them Zed Leppin´ guys.
    lol

5. Kurt Foster

Does anyone remember that band that did Zeppelin stuff but had a singer that dressed like Elvis?? I can't remember their name??? BTW, wasn't this question about "Stairway"? Did the original poster change /edit the question? Kurt

6. Alécio Costa - Brazil

That Band was really cool and funny!!!

7. Kurt Foster

What was the Name???

8. wwittman

wwittman Active Member

Dread Zeppelin

9. Alécio Costa - Brazil

yes
    A friend of mine saw a show og them in the USa and said that laughed a lot

10. Kurt Foster

That's it! Dread Zeppelin...what a ruk! thanks wwittman.. :tu: Kurt

11. Rader Ranch

Rader Ranch Member

hehe...got to see Dread Zepplin at a place just up from my house a couple times, man, probably pushing 10 years ago now. freaking brilliant....remember, it was fat Elvis! :s: even better than the Dixieland 'Dark Side of the Moon'...

12. cjenrick

cjenrick Active Member

Does anybody remember "Stairway to Gilligan's Island?"
    I wanted to smack those guys!

13. Pez

Pez Active Member

I thought that no one had answered your question but I see now that Kurt changed his post after thinking you were asking about stairway. Kurt is correct the song is 90% acoustic but you can hear an electric do the old Jeff Beck/Jimmy Page ascending slide guitar lick about halfway through the tune. Those two played in a very similar style after their stint with the Yardbirds. Thanks for making me give this tune another listen. I really enjoyed it and it brought back a lot of memories. I listened to an mp3 and it really made me crave the vinyl. I think I'm about ready to break down and buy another turntable. There is also some acoustic 12 string as well as the 6 string. I've always enjoyed Page's engineering & mixing skills as well. Anyone who enjoys old Led Zepplin should also check out Jeff Beck's "Truth" LP with Rod Steward singing his ass off. This was well before Rod "dummied down" so to speak.

14. Kurt Foster

As far as what amp and guitar were used, I read somewhere that Jimmy Page used a Telecaster through an old (newer at that time) Fender Champ on that record.

Re; Jeff Beck ... I have both Truth and Beck Ola on vinyl. John, if you would like, I would be glad to burn a CDr for you.. Kurt

15. Pez

Pez Active Member

Kurt, I've got "Truth" on CD. I used to have Beck o la on vinyl but I gave away all my vinyl records when I was in my 20's. A copy of Beck o la would be cool as I've forgotten what's on it. Do you remember the original "Shapes of Things" by the Yardbirds? That was the first time I had ever hear sustained distortion like that on guitar. It blew me away at the time. Not a big deal now LOL. I also remember spending hours at the turntable dropping the phono needle learning "Jeff's Boogie".

16. Kurt Foster

John,
    Yes I remember Shapes... Ground breaking. My friends and I were all going about slitting our amp speakers with razors trying to get that sound... :D IMO Jimmy Page totally ripped off Beck with the idea for Led Zep... Kurt

17. Roly

Roly Guest

Truth and Beck O LA.........hmmmmm
    Black Cat Moan and Beck's Bolero come to mind.

18. cjenrick

cjenrick Active Member

Black Cat Moan, I think is off Beck, Bogart and Appice. My first concert at Winterland, for $3.50 admission. Man, that Univox blue cube was monster loud. Let's not forget Goin Down off the ahh.......ummm......well...it had cozy powell on it, you remember, right? Bob Trenchmouth on vocals...

Mooney on Becks Bolero...

19. Roly

Roly Guest

Goin down ...
    Rough And Ready?

20. cjenrick

cjenrick Active Member

Yes, Thanks! Rough and Ready. The title after his terrible car wreck.