1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Baby Grand Piano Recording

Discussion in 'Piano' started by djrowskie, Nov 22, 2008.

1. djrowskie

djrowskie Guest

Hi everyone,
    I have a session booked to record a baby grand piano over an Algerian fusion group which I recorded half live / half overdubbed percussion. The playing style of the pianist will be kind of cuban jazz and I want to know the best way to capture such a genre.
    I have found some interesting stereo techs from the players perspective, above the strings & even one from the 'tail' of the piano.
    I know that I will be using a single (C414 or else U87) to get a usable mono signal with 1 or 2 ambience mics (DPAs if they're not used for main stereo array).

So mainly....what do you think would be the best stereo configuration for a jazzy baby grand piano?? The track is quite busy in the hi & hi-mids so I'm looking for a solid mid pickup to give this element it's own place.

Thanks for anyones help. :D

2. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

Think I got the situation right... correct me if I'm wrong.

Yer' going to overdub track a baby grand, right?

If that's right, your U87 in the midrange with a stereo pair of DPA's OH sounds like it would be plenty fine.

While the 414 is a great all around mic, I'd much rather use a U87, due to a more natural and realistic presence.