1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Bang for buck monitors! *Poll*

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by Drawn_Away, Sep 2, 2005.

?

Which pair on monitors is the best bang for buck?

1. M-Audio BX8 - $299.99

100.0%
  2. Event TR5 - $299.99

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Behringer TRUTH B2030A - $279.99

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. M-Audio BX5a - $299.99

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Event TR6 - $399.99

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other. Please specify which ones.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Drawn_Away

Drawn_Away Guest

I know everyone has different opinions and these aren't the best to choose from which is why I also left a space for others and then you can list it. I want to get the pair that seems to be the most liked by everyone if at all possible. I selected these because of the price range which is not expensive because I won't have a lot of money after I buy the rest of my setup. (Firepod, Studio Projects B1 mic, Shure sm58, Sennheiser HD280, then accessories...) Please help me to decide on some best bang for my buck monitors and add comments/suggestions. I looked through the monitor posts but most of them offer suggestions to monitors that are too expensive. I plan on upgrading later but I will have to get some that will work for now. Thank you.

2. Drawn_Away

Drawn_Away Guest

Also the YAMAHA MSP5's.

3. frob

frob Well-Known Member

i choose the yamaha msp5s if you spend less then a grand then this is the best you can get, in my opinion. they will tell you exactly what is wrong with your mix.

4. Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.2 Actives

Also, everyone's ears are different which is why you should listen to monitors before you buy.

5. Drawn_Away

Drawn_Away Guest

I looked at the Yahmaha's and they looked pretty good. A little more but mentioned a lot from other people. As far as the other ones they are in the same price range as the ones I am looking at which is good. You are right, I am probably going to go and listen to the monitors before I buy them. What do you like about the Wharfedale's? I am into making rock/screamo/emo/acoustic music if that helps any. I want a heavy rock sound but I don't know if that matters when choosing...

6. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Another vote for the Yamaha MSP5's ...
    here's a link to my review of them.

(Dead Link Removed)

I hope it helps you make the desicion whether or not they are what you want.

7. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Yamahahaz followed by the new Samson(yeah that one!) with the ribbon tweeters. Smooth.....

8. bounce

bounce Guest

I'm going to have to evangelize the Truth Audio (not behringer) Ta-1P's ($699 direct from manufacturer for the passives). Still the best thing that has happened to my mixes. Under-advertised, got great reviews a few years ago all over, plus awards, but their marketing budget must not be very big. Great speakers. Not hyped in the high end like many IN STORE monitors. Low end is tight, not hyped. Excellent. No, I don't sell them or work for them. This is not SPAM. okay, bye.

mckay

9. Drawn_Away

Drawn_Away Guest

Cool! Thanks people for all of the responses. I think I am going to go with the Yamaha MSP5's and your article, Kurt, swayed me. Especially the line, "For any of you who are shopping for your first set of quality monitors to use with your recording system, I recommend the MSP5’s heartily!" I'm going to order them after my system which won't be long so if anyone has any monitor preference that they absolutely love for this price range then please speak up.

10. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Happy to help! Another great selling point on the MSP5's is you can get 3 more and a subwoofer and do 5.1 surround without breaking the bank. Whether you want a straight ahead stereo system or a surround system, the Yamis can fit the bill ... !

Happy mixing ..

K.

11. roguescout

roguescout Guest

The Event monitors are pretty decent for the price, but they have no customer service.

Well, they do. But it is actually just two guys sharing a cubicle and whacking each other off all day instead of answering the phone.

12. Drawn_Away

Drawn_Away Guest

...and I could do without that "service." 8)

13. gambit

gambit Active Member

Alesis Monitor 1 Mark II's - active or passive, good quality and great price...

G

14. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Active Member

I bought a pair of MSP5's and being a card-carrying audiophile snob I was positive I wouldn't like them. Surprisingly, I really respect what they can do. They are quite "matter of fact" and natural sounding. If I don't get any good mixes on them, it will be my fault, not the monitors'.

15. Jeremy

Jeremy Active Member

I second the motion on the samson's. I really like my Resolv 65a, but that rubicon is the new "better" one.

16. opiepac

opiepac Guest

To follow up, I was looking at the Samson's with the ribbon tweeter. The Rubicon 5a's are around $330 for a pair, versus the $500/pair Yamaha MSP5s. Could anyone just compare these two? Also is the Yamaha MSP3 an alternative, or is that just too small? Those are $300/pair.

17. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

The Samsons are very smooth for the price ...the Yamahahas are very accurate for the price and the 3's are too small...you would need a sub with them.

18. okaydigital

okaydigital Guest

For the price, I've had great luck with the Alesis Monitor 1 Mark II's as well.

19. PERRANFULO

PERRANFULO Guest

hey the link to kurt's review doesn't work

anyone have the correct one?

20. I know it's not on your list (poll), but I really like the KRK Rp5's. For $300 I think they are a great value.