1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Basic 4 track recorder for long recording ?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by yeeman, Nov 5, 2007.

1. yeeman

yeeman Guest

I've had a ZOOM 4-track recorder ( I think it was $200.00 ? ) for a few years but realized that the unit is only capable of recording "shorter" recordings, not 3+ hours continuosly. Now ,I have the ZOOM H4 which has a 4-track built in, but, I'd still rather have a unit with larger control buttons & sliders.
    If my ZOOM 4-track was capable of long recordings, it would be perfect.
    Is there anything on the market like this for under $400.00 ?

2. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Fredericksburg, VA
    For long recordings....I don't know of anything under that price point.

I'm assuming this is for symphony recording??

The only things I would trust for that would be:
    1 - Very stable computer with a stable program
    2 - Alesis HD24 (which I've used for about 6 years without even a hiccup) - They can be picked up used for under a thousand.
    3 - Maybe the Edirol R-4, but that's outside your price point too.

Good luck - let us know what you find.

3. yeeman

yeeman Guest

I just record some of my live performances & use the 4-track ocassionally.
    Again, the Zoom H4 pretty much does what I want, but I'd still prefer a small unit that was a little more user friendly with larger buttons & sliders.
  4. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Fredericksburg, VA
    I'm assuming you want larger sliders for mixing in post production?

I would urge you to perhaps move the tracks to a computer and mix it there in post production.

Otherwise....for that price, I think you have the only tool.

5. yeeman

yeeman Guest

I'm just doing very basic multi-track recordings & extended live recordings occassionally.
    I just noticed that the prices on some Tascam,Zoom, & Fostex multi-track digital recorders w/hard drive & CD burners may fit the bill. I'd rather not deal with my laptop & software....just a separate piece of easy to use hardware. The most I've done with sofetware is using Audacity ( free online ) to break down 3 hours worth of live recording. I just do the basics, nothing more.
  6. MadTiger3000

MadTiger3000 Active Member

Nov 16, 2004
    I used the Zoom + Audacity route for about a year or so.

I went to laptop and software.