1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

bass drum mic board

Discussion in 'Bass' started by dirtyktm, Aug 11, 2006.

1. dirtyktm

dirtyktm Guest

A while back I was on this board and somebody was writing about a bass drum mic board. basically a mic ina board in front of the bass drum. I never really payed attention but now I want to know more about it. Can somebody please fill me in now that I'm paying attention. Im all ears --or I guess eyes. love jerr :-? :-?

2. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

Maybe you were reading about taking a relatively small loudspeaker and "reversing" it's role....using it as a kick drum mic instead of a loudspeaker. There were several posts talking about using the 7" woofer from a Yamaha NS10 monitor, hooking it up to a suitable transformer, and running it out into a mixer channel. You mount the speaker to a board to place it in front of the kick. It certainly picks up the low end, and has been a trick LA engineers did way back in the days of Stevie Wonders' "Songs in the Key of Life". Yamaha now makes a commercially-marketed version of that "mic"...I made one in the 80s using an 8" Utah hi-fi speaker. didn't even need a transformer to get it to work...

3. dirtyktm

dirtyktm Guest

That's very interesting but not what I'm looking for. But what would a suitable transformer be and would you have to power it. I have heard of this method. thanks for the reply

4. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

I had a mediocre Sescom passive DI box as the transformer. Doesn't look right on paper, but it worked OK. This design is passive, so there is no power to worry about. I would definitely have the phantom power to that input of your board OFF, though.
    The only other time I've seen a board with a mic on it for the kick was actually a Shure boundary mic mounted to a small piece of plywood (about a 6"x6" piece of 3/4") that was laid inside the drum, on top of a folded blanklet....