1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

bass frequency levels

Discussion in 'Bass' started by ThirdBird, Jun 4, 2009.

1. ThirdBird

ThirdBird Active Member

on the final mix of song before you send to get mastered, how much energy (volume/thickness) do you want in the bass frequencies?

let me know if I need to make this question more specific...

thanks!

2. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

whatever sounds right.

3. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

The most basic concept in all of recording still seems the most elusive. :lol:

4. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

If you're making a hip hop song, do you think it'll have more or less bass energy than an acoustic recording of a violin and a harp?

I can just imagine the harp with the bass boosted to match "mastering levels" ...

5. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Push the Dolby C button on the tape deck, right?

;-)

6. NCdan

NCdan Guest

To elaborate on Mr. Fossenkemper's answer: think about the mix you are doing. A death metal mix will want a bass guitar that has mostly subs and lows -- that mushy earthquake tone. A jazz record will want more of that upright bass sound, so it's goodbye midrange. Of course, if you screwed this up and already finished the mix, well, it's time to retrack the bass correctly. 8) The other thing I would warn against is boosting or cutting the same frequencies on the bass and bass drum. But other than that I don't have anything else to say. :D

7. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

Removing the same frequencies from all your lower instruments, and even from vocals too, would indicate to me that you have a problem with your monitoring chain/room.

8. frnk

frnk Active Member

low end

Lots of people rely 90 percent on there ear but tweak it by ear then reference what you got with a RTA. That's if you have a not so acoustically correct room.

9. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

10. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Re: low end

An RTA will tell you very little to nothing about how bass translates in a real environment. Ears with accurate speakers in an accurate room are the one and only answer.