1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Bass is not cutting through...

Discussion in 'Bass' started by drumist69, Feb 9, 2007.

  1. drumist69

    drumist69 Active Member

    I've been recording this band, and I'm having trouble getting the bass to cut through the mix consistently. It cuts through when he plays higher notes it seems, but the low end just sounds like a wash under the mix. Here's a link...
    http://
    First song, Paper Skin, but listen to them all if you have time. The bass was a Warwick Fortress 1 run direct (through an ART Tubepac...don't laugh). He used a custom 6 string bass on another song, Systematic Fade, and it seemed to do better in general. The Warwick just sounds un-defined in the low end. I've tried a variety of EQ solutions, but haven't gotten it all there yet. If it would help, I could post an MP3 of the bass soloed. Should I get him to re-take the bass parts with a Fender P-Bass I've got? It seems a lot more well rounded in general. Any ideas? ANDY
     
  2. drumist69

    drumist69 Active Member

    OK, nevermind! I found the right EQ for the bass. Haven't updated the songs online yet though. I think I got it...find out tomorrow with fresh ears! ANDY
     
  3. BobRogers

    BobRogers Well-Known Member

    Looking forward to hearing the new mix. It's a good sounding song. My guess on eq is more boost in the low mids. If you have a parametric eq, I'd start with a fairly large but narrow boost and slowly sweep the frequencies from ... well heck, sweep the whole spectrum and listen to what it does. Once you have settled on a frequency center for the boost, play with the width and lower the height as much as possible.

    You should also work on compression. I don't like overcompressed bass tracks, but a little bit is necessary. What are you using and what are your settings?

    What are you using to mix this?

    Good luck, Bob
     
  4. drumist69

    drumist69 Active Member

    Thanks Bob! I did add some compression. I recorded it with little to tame the slapping and popping this player does on other songs, but didn't want it overdone going in. Turns out it needed more. I also boosted the lows in the 300 to 600 range I think, and some mids around 1.6 K or so. The whole project (which is 10 songs) was recorded in Kristal Audio Engine, which is 16 track freeware. Mixing done in KAE as well. ANDY
     
  5. drumist69

    drumist69 Active Member

    I posted updated versions of the songs here...
    http://
    Think I've got these 5 done. 5 more to finish, but that's another story! ANDY
     

Share This Page