1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

BBE Sonic Stomp. Worth it? Or Marketing Ploy?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Guitarfreak, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

I have found a few youtube videos of negligible quality and the difference was pretty unnoticable IMO. IDK, I mean the story I heard from users is that it would make a crappy amp sound like a good amp, relative to whether or not you put it in the FX loop or not. The clips are not much of a comparison so I can't really judge for myself with my own two ears just yet.

I don't really understand what it does really. The BBE website makes it sound like it makes up for bad speaker response or something and restores lost signal and blah blah. What is it's functionality? Is it the workings of a clean boost but split up into Bass and High instead of flat frequency response? Is it really only a crude 2-Band EQ with a great marketing team behind it?

It's $99 so what do you think. Worth it or not?

2. Kapt.Krunch

Kapt.Krunch Well-Known Member

http://www.bbesound.com/technologies/BBE_HDS/

"Functional Overview:
    BBE High Definition Sound compensates for phase and amplitude distortion, restoring the brilliance and clarity of the original content material. The BBE High Definition Sound process begins by applying a linear phase shift across the full frequency range of the signal, which allows the speaker system to reproduce the transients and harmonics in the correct order. The BBE process then compensates for speaker amplitude distortion by progressively boosting lower and higher frequencies, and doing so within the context of the phase correction process. This efficiently creates a fuller, richer sound without excess equalization."

They are a waste of time and money for guitar if you have a good guitar and amp. Guitars are mostly midrange, usually, and there is no good reason to muck with "phase shift" issues. It'll sound interesting and different at first. Then, you'll find it sounds annoying.

Those things can be kind of useful for transferring old tapes and LPs to computer. It depends on the source. Some old LPs I transferred were fairly dull sounding, and running them through my old maximizer added a bit of thump and sparkle. That's all I've found it good for.

I tried it on the PA with both live stuff, and prerecorded stuff, and it was more trouble than it was worth, for no more than it did.

They are easy to overuse. Much like a compressor, when used correctly, it shouldn't be very obvious, usually, to notice you are using it all.

If you want it for electric guitar, I'd suggest saving your money, or buying something much more fun and useful. If your guitar or amp is lacking enough to make you consider using a maximizer, I'd suggest spending your money on better pickups, a better guitar, a better speaker, or a whole new amp. Basically, fix yourself up with something that doesn't make you consider using a maximizer. No magic box will make an inherently crappy amp or guitar sound much better.

Kapt.Krunch

3. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

I agree. I've got a load of money in my guitar right now so that's not what's lacking, I've tried it through other amps and it roars, also sounds good DI'd which is impressive to me. My amp and cab setup are both pretty lacking for what I'd like them to do, I am having trouble deciding which needs to go first because they're going to be about the same amount of money and both need to go in order to get a better sound.

The amp: Isn't capable of the kind of gritty hairy tone that I require, even maxed out it sounds overdriven at best, and not a good fat overdrive like a Plexi either.

The cab: Crate 4x10 which as jg49 pointed out is equipped with cheaply made, badly reviewed, plastic sounding 10" drivers which don't break up nicely when a lot of signal is pushed through them.

Not that I am looking to replace them anytime soon, I've got too many things on my plate right now, but later in life they definitely need to go. Or if I get a band thing together and start gigging I will need to upgrade. As of this moment I am looking at a used Peavey 5150 original all tube head and an Avatar 4x12 cab with 2 Celestion Vintage 30's and 2 G12T75's in an X pattern.