1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Beggining with Hstudio

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Runeth, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Runeth

Runeth Guest

Hi, im new in those kind of subjects, but im rly into it. Im intrested in overall recording. I know a bit about dynamic mics, but rly need help with rest. Sooo, i will record vocals and guitar cab.

I don't have much cash now, but i will get it soon. For now i have about 120$, and for it im gonna buy mic. And next month im gonna get 400$ and dunno on what should i spend it.

Mic - Unfortunetly budget don't allow me to buy 2 mics, i know that vocals sound much better on condesner mic but... you know. I searched, read and thought about 4 mics: Sm 58/57, E825/835s. I also thought bout beta 58a but its 50$+ so i don't know rly.

I know also that i have to buy preamp+soundcard. For the preamp i think i should go for DMP3 for M-audio and sound card, you see i don't know what soundcard/audio interface i should get.

Any help will be appreciated.

Sincelery,
    Runeth.

2. drumist69

drumist69 Active Member

Hey there! Welcome aboard! I think you've got the right idea to buy an sm57 and sm58. Use the 57 for guitar cab, the 58 for vocals. The DMP-3 is pretty good for the money, and it has phantom power, which you will need in the future when you get a condenser mic. As for a soundcard, are you using a laptop or desktop? PC or Mac? If you have a desktop PC, I'd recommend the M-Audio Delta 44. Two more inputs than you need at first, but a little room to grow in the future. I know I picked up a lightly used Delta 44 on Ebay a few years back for about $90, with all the original packaging and software. Used that with a DMP-3 for several years,and was happy with the results and had no issues with things not working! Andy

3. Runeth

Runeth Guest

I don't think about getting two mics for now man, even i will i want save money for Shure SM7 for vocals, i rly into Metallica and i know that Hetfield used this mic pretty often. For now i have cash only for one mic, i have on opportunity guys, i found used beta 58a for 80$ and if it won't go up much im gonna buy it. Ofc, im also getting DMP-3 and audio interface. I don't think that this Delta 44 will do well for me, got any other propositions for interface? I have desktop PC btw.

Sinclery,
    Runeth.

4. MorMez

MorMez Active Member

Recording

Hey,

I agree that the sm57 is probably the best mic you can get at this point. With this mic, keep in mind that plosives (p,b) will create a pop, so you'd most likely need a pop filter for recording vocals. The 85 (and beta 58) have a windscreen so that won't be as much of a problem.
    The beta 58 sounds great and if you can get it, you should!

Here's a blog that offers a lot of guidance and explanation about recording, in a simple language that anyone can (hopefully) understand:
    http://www.EarsandGears.com

Hope you find this helpful!