Beginner home studio

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by Squeeze23, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Squeeze23

Squeeze23 Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Hey I am new to home recording. I know a little bit but not much. Not sure if this is the kind of forum to post a question like this or if it has already been asked but I'll throw it out there anyway.

I want to create my own home studio and could use some help on what gear to stock it with. What I mainly want it for is vocals (singing along with guitar and rap vocals), acoustic guitar, and light electric guitar. I originally thought that all I needed was an external soundcard with built in pre-amp and a decent mic. The more research I do however leads me to believe that I may need more. I also don't know anything about which manufacturers are good. I do however have a tight budget so I'd like to keep it cheap as possible (without totally disregarding quality). If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.
  2. stevesmith

stevesmith Active Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Get yourself a Shure SM58 mic and plug it into a Boss BR600. The tracks on the BR600 can be exported via USB to a PC as *.wav files.

From there, you can use Audacity (freeware) or n-track or reaper on your PC to turn your work into mp3 or burn the *.wav files to CD.
  3. quietman

quietman Active Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I was asking the same questions 2 years ago.... so I bought a small USB Audio Interface (about £100) by M-Audio and a cheap DAW (I went Samplitude Music Studio) but Reaper I belive is good or Cakewalk Sonar (basic version) all about the £50 area. Not sure about best Mics for vocalsbut mines a ShurePG58 which I don't use too often.