1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

beginner needs advice (equipment purchase)

Discussion in 'Recording' started by bewailin, Jan 20, 2006.

1. bewailin

bewailin Guest

hi there. i am trying to put together a home studio that will be able to record live muli-track. as of now, i've been just recording one track at a time, and i'm ready to jump to the next level.

what i assume i need is a multi-imput USB or Firewire Box, but i'm not sure which one I should get. I've been searching around and found the PreSonus Firebox for $299, which is in my price range. It has 6 in's and 10 outs, plenty for me.

I'm probably just gonna want to record drums (with 4 mics), guitar and bass at once. actually, maybe I want more line ins, but 6 for now will work.

I go back and forth between Sonar 4.0 Producer (which I know much better), and Cubase SX 3.

After I get an interface, I'll probably post a question on here about the proper sequence to run the signal from the mic to the sound card, cause i'm still not an expert there. I'm a musician, who's trying to understand recording. I don't even know what BUS SEND, and AUX SEND are used for.....I've recorded for the past 2 years, and never used them. go ahead laugh it up, but there was a time when you didn't know what they were...someone had to teach you, or you read about it...so this is my time to learn all this .

thanks everyone