1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Behringer T1953 Tube Ultragain with changed tubes...

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Static2003, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Static2003

Static2003 Guest

I can buy Behringer T1953 Tube Ultragain with changed tubes (Electo Harmonix) for 150$ is it worh it? Can u tell the diference with electro harmonix tubes? I mean yeah u prob can but will it sound better?
  2. NCdan

NCdan Guest

With all due respect, to quote Larry the Cable Guy: "That's like hanging a crystal chandelier in a haunted house." Or, perhaps a more fitting analogy: "That's like putting Dimarzio's in an Epiphone." I think you get the idea. Yeah, it'll sound better, but you can do a lot better than Behringer. :D
  3. hueseph

hueseph Distinguished Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    For what it's worth. GOOGLE: behringer tube ultragain 1953 review.

From Harmony central reviews. There are also many good reviews there but this person was good enough to do a comparison test between other low budget tube pres. The MPA Gold is very reasonably priced and if your music store is like mine, you can finance.
  4. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Sep 26, 2005
    Really, I find transistor stuff much more consistent sounding. Tubes just are not built the way they used to be. And for that reason alone, I think tubes are not necessarily a good choice by today's standards. I mean what else do we value from China & Russia? Right. Chinese food & vodka. I don't want to drive a Gorky nor go to work with slave children. At least transistor & integrated circuit stuff has to be produced with very pure silicon crystals made to very exacting standards. Tubes like this subject can get old quickly. Transistors are always young and fresh sounding like children. Besides, they don't get as hot and bothered. Anyhow, when you finally realize that tubes make lousy microphones? You'll go back to transistors and their silicon brothers, IC chips. Regular & barbecue flavor.

2N what?
    Ms. Remy Ann David
  5. Static2003

Static2003 Guest

Actually i saw all Hc reviews before posting here...
    Anyway i know its behringer but with changed tubes it will sound better and it would cost me 90$.
    That's cheaper than with original tubes, that's why i asked...
  6. NCdan

NCdan Guest

Anything tube that costs less than AT LEAST $600 should be on your "do not buy" list. Cheap tube equipment doesn't get tube warmth -- all it gets is a lot of noise and grating highs. Sell the Behringer, and then buy a decent solid state preamp with the money. Seriously. Changing tubes really will not help. That's like buying a crappy Squier and thinking that getting a new neck will make things sound better. Yeah, it will help a little, but not much. And for as mush as that unit plus new tubes will cost, you could get something solid state that's a whole lot nicer.
  7. Static2003

Static2003 Guest

I dont have behringer i just asked is is wise to get one for $90... Guess not, thank u