1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Benefits of matched pairs

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Squaysh, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Squaysh

Squaysh Guest

What are the benefits of a matched pair of mics as opposed to two of the same model? If im not mistaken, i remember matched mics wont have phase problems whereas two unmatched mics would give you phase problems (if not placed properly). is this correct?

2. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

A matched pair will have the same sound, the same frecuency responsed- they are usually matched by ear unless you have test equipment- An unmatched pair of the same brand of mics might sound different from each other and thus present a problem with stereo micing. This is usually the case with lower cost mics where quality control is an issue, a well documented case are the oktava mics- is hard to get twop to sound alike and if you buy a pair you should check them out at the store before taking them home.

3. djui5

djui5 Guest

I don't feel unless your doing testing or something of that sort that matched pairs are necessary. Like in the previous post, unless your buying some really cheap mic's, the spec's are pretty close for most of them.
    Also in stereo applications I like the tiny differences of the mics, it helps the stereo feel and phasings not that big of an issue if you place them properly.

4. realdynamix

realdynamix Well-Known Member

:D I agree "placement", regardless. To me it is the predictability, like a matched pair of monitors. It gives the best possible starting point in the head-end when these matched mics are used.

However, other pieces in the chain can influence the response, the pre-amp inputs and cables with impedance differences. EQ's on console inputs may have some variance in the visual normal settings or caps/resisters that have different value (do to age or spec range) even at the same settings. I would like a pair matched right on to the direct out's of a specific pre as well, am I asking too much?

Certainly, matched mics can give confidence from that starting point.

I envision a pipe organ rig with a pair of matched mics, or well placed overheads on drums, and fine positioning on acoustics or piano and room.

--Rick

5. Squaysh

Squaysh Guest

ok, i really appreciate the input you guys. i have an oktava 012, and i was considering purchasing a matched pair and selling the one i have now. until i found out how much i could get a matched pair for, i wont be making a decision.

6. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

you can get an 012 at guitar center for $100- take the one you have in and match it by ear if they let you

7. Squaysh

Squaysh Guest

well, the guitar center near me doesnt carry them anymore, or any guitar center for that matter.... i thought anyway. i thought they were selling the marshals instead now, right?

8. Consul

Consul Guest

The Sound Room sells matched pairs of Oktava and various other mics:

http://sound-room.com/customer/home.php?cat=3

9. Squaysh

Squaysh Guest

midiwarehouse has the matched pair for $298. i think im gonna go for and just sell my single 012 on ebay. thanx for all your help everyone.