1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Best A/D - Lowest Price

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by rpstro02, Nov 4, 2007.

1. rpstro02

rpstro02 Guest

Apogee Mini-Me used. What do you guys think? I want a high quality A/D and clock to go digitally into my M-Audio ProjectMix I/O running pro tools M-powered. I really only need one channel. Think the Apogee Mini-Me is the way to go? Seems to be well known that Apogee is the best A/D. IS the Mini-ME up to par?

2. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

I like the 8 channel Apogee AD8000 .
    Go with Apogee.

3. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Here's another thought...

For the same price:

Mytek AD192

For lower price:

Lucid

For a little more:

Lavry

4. rpstro02

rpstro02 Guest

Thanks guys. Apogee AD8000 would be nice but too expensive. Does Mini-Me have the same technology?

Keep in mind I only need one channel golden channel. I've never heard of Lavry, Mytek, or Lucid. I'll keep those in mind.

I'm also thinking of maybe a pre-amp with built in A/D. Perhaps SSL Alpha XLogic or ISA 430 or ISA 220. I'm trying to record vocals, guitar and bass for pop and metal. I'm open to suggestions or tips.

5. Cucco

Hmmm...Lavry, Mytek and Lucid are 3 of the finest names in conversion. Check out http://www.atlasproaudio.com for pricing and information.

For a pre with built in conversion, I don't think there's a better combo than the API A2D.

6. bent

Yeah, that's not what I meant.

I meant, I like the AD8000 that I have...

You are actually looking to buy something in the 400 dollar price range, am I correct in that assumption?

7. rpstro02

rpstro02 Guest

I'd like to stay under $1500 for one channel. The Apogee Mini-Me is ~$800. It'd be great if it could be a quality pre-amp too. I'm looking hard at the SSL Alpha XLogic. Don't know much about that unit in particular though.

8. bent

Oh, you're talking about the Mini-DAC?
    Sorry, I was looking at the wrong thing on Apogee's PDF.

9. bent

That XLogic does look nice...

...So do the suggestions Jeremy gave you.

Decisions, decisions...

10. sdelsolray

sdelsolray Active Member

That might be why you believe Apogee is the best. It's not. Still decent though.

11. rpstro02

rpstro02 Guest

hmmm. Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm looking more into the API A2D. I haven't heard much about this before. Right now I've got an M-Audio ProjectMix. I think new pre-amps and A/Ds will take me to the next level for guitar, bass, and vocals. Unless you guys have other suggestions.

12. rpstro02

rpstro02 Guest

hmmm. Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm looking more into the API A2D. I haven't heard much about this before. Right now I've got an M-Audio ProjectMix. I think new pre-amps and A/Ds will take me to the next level for guitar, bass, and vocals. Unless you guys have other suggestions.

13. rpstro02

rpstro02 Guest

I've been checking out the API. A review had this to say:

" Try as I might, the only real potential problems I could find with the A2D are that it only synchronizes externally to incoming Reference Clock (256X), and that it has no clock output (unless connected to other A2D units using the supplied cabling). Both of these could cause problems (or additional investment) when integrating the A2D into existing digital setups."

So would I have any trouble syncing my M-Audio PorjectMix to this? The ProjectMix can sync to the API through SPDIF which will also carry the converted audio right?

14. Cucco

You should have no problem. The API will carry the master clock and use your ProjectMix as the slave (should be able to tell it in the software to sync to incoming digital clock on SPDIF).

This means that if you have an intricate word-clock schema going on, this may not be the best choice, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.