1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Best Budget 8 channel mic preamp

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by cadu, May 9, 2006.

1. cadu

cadu Guest

I want to buy na 8 channel pre amp with adat lightpipe and i need some help to decide the best quality equip. I have search and find this 4 option:

-focusrite octopre + adat interf card $1000 (96khz/adat/compr/limiter)
    -mackie onyx800r $1000 (192 khz/adat/M-S enc)
    -presonus digimax LT $800 (48khz/adat)
    -maudio octane $600 (48khz/adat/M-S enc)

Is there a better equip in this price range?
    Which one is the best?
    Thanks

2. overlookfran

overlookfran Guest

I've heard some nice things about those Onyx mixers actually. Might be your best bang for buck ratio there...
    I had a Presonus Digimax. not bad. you can get them for cheaper than $800 if you look hard enough...

must you have the ADAT out? if not, look into a True Precision 8. might be out of range, but a killer 8 channel pre...

unless youre going into an 002 or something to get more in. the presonus or Onyx will suit you well. Id go the Onyx tho. Probably as nice if not nicer pres than the digimax, and you get a digital mixer as well.

3. stickers

stickers Active Member

if you want some real nice pres check out the SCAs. They have several styles of pres. If you cant afford 8 at a time just get what you can afford and then add more later. I wish I went this route. But I have nothing bad to say about the mackie 800r that I own.

4. saemskin

saemskin Active Member

sort of on topic....
    suppose one picks the 800r, but not necessarily because its a preamp,. but to add 8 channels quick and dirty, because one doesnt trust the alesis ai3 for whatever reason.
    Are there any drawbacks to using a preamp stage for an expansion. IE to just run anything through with no gain most of the time?

5. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

I renamed the subject becuase it is misleading to post a question asking for input on what the best _______ is and then list a bunch of crap that you have choose from...

6. therecordingart

therecordingart Well-Known Member

I'll second the SCA preamps. The initial invest for the PSU and case bumps up the price, but where else can you get "real" preamps for under $400 per channel? You can't.

7. Sidhu

Sidhu Active Member

funny i cannot google info on the SCA...

8. therecordingart

http://www.seventhcircleaudio.com

9. Niliov

Niliov Guest

Saying these preamps are all crap is not fair...

If you want really, really high quality preamps pay 1000/2000 dollars per channel but you state budget so...

These days nobody makes bad preamps anymore in your price range, even Behringer does a decent job. They all work fine for the job they are supposed to do: power your mics. Do not expect anything more, so no amazing character, unbelievable loudness etc. But if you have some good mics, good recording skills and good ears you can make some kick ass recordings with all of them! I'd go for the Focusrite by the way, don't ask me why, I just like it.

10. therecordingart

**EDITED**

With all due respect....this post was made in the "pro" side of RO listing consumer gear to choose from. Crap is a strong word to use because the listed units are ok. They won't blow your dress up, but they will work fine and give you nice results.

Other than the response from AudioGaff...there wasn't anything bad to say about your list because they are in fact pretty good units, and the Onyx better. Stickers and myself took things further and provided a fantastic option outside of the list.

Don't be so damn sensitive. Opinions are like assholes.

11. stickers

stickers Active Member

I'm trying to prevent him from getting something he'll end up dumping in 1 year. It's mistake i've made. We settle on something cheaper just for more channels. But other than drums you hards ever need more than 3 or 4 pres at a time.

12. audiofreqs

audiofreqs Guest

very noble, but one will never truly know what is good unless they know what is bad.

extremely circumstanstial(sp?). i record blues and jazz musicians live of the floor and find myself using up to 6 channels sometimes just for two musicians. it really all depends on what is going on at the time.

13. Groff

Groff Active Member

Perhaps this one:

http://www.jlmaudio.com/TMP8.htm

14. AuralReject

AuralReject Guest

Audient ASP008 for me, although the ADAT board is limited to 48 kHz.