1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Best Chain into PTLE

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Allen Hallada, Jan 18, 2002.

1. What is everyone using for Mic/Preamp/Converters into ProTools that gives more of that warm analog feeling to the recording? I have a Rode NTK, Avalon 737, and using the Digi001 converters at this time. I've looked at converters by Lucid, Apogee, RME, Waves L2 Ultramaximizer, Crane Song.
    At present moment PTLE can record at 24 bit/48k max., however an upgrade is inevitable to at least 96k in May.
    Lastly what it the best way to hook the converter to the Digi001 for A/D? SPDIF/ADAT lighpipe?
    How about D/A?
    Thanks much.
    Allen :)

2. mattgirard

mattgirard Guest

I don't think it matters which digital port you connect to... just make sure you clock the 001 off the adat or spdif port, since the clock is bound to be better than the 001.

mg

3. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

The new MBox tops out at 24/48 and I know of know plans to upgrade the Digi001. So unless you're planning on using the HD hardware, while the software might have the capability of doing 96 kHz, good luck utilizing it.

Bear

4. Bear,
    What is wrong with using an Apogee or RME 24/96 AD converter for PTLE?
    Allen

5. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

Not a thing, it's just a question of whether the Digi001 lightpipe or spdif input or the MBox spdif input will pass a 96kHz sample rate. I don't know that it won't, but I consider it extremely unlikely. Since you need Digidesign hardware to run LE or TDM software, you would need that hardware to recognize the higher sample rate. The only hardware that definitely will is the new HD gear. I wouldn't hold your breath for 96kHz LE, either, as Digidesign has yet to release it for the TDM software.

Bear