best compressor....

Discussion in 'Compressors / Limiters' started by klauth, Nov 16, 2004.

1. klauth

klauth Guest

I hear alot of people say it's not the best idea to strap a compressor across the mix bus for the drums. but if you were going to do such a thing, what compressor would you use?

2. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

I put compressors across the drum bus all the time...

The big thing is not overcompressing the MIX bus (or really overcompressing anything at all) as it may severely limit the mastering phase.

In other words, don't compress for the sake of volume. Compress tracks (or the mix) because the mix asks for it.

3. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

Distressors
    or Drawmer 1968

Chris

4. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Can't argue with either of Chris's suggestions [both are serious favorites in this application!! picking between them would be on a 'song by song' basis in my world]... but I generally do that kind of drum bus compression as a "parallel compression" event.

I take a balance of the drums, send it out on a stereo bus, compress the living snot out of that bus [usually with a medium attack and a quick to medium release to let the front of the drums explode a bit better] then add the return of that compressor back on two faders with the original [uncompressed] drums.

Sometimes I'll do kick and snare individually so as not to splatter the cymabls, or I'll do the kit minus the overheads in the 1st parallel bus and the overheads as a second and separate parrallel bus.

Best of luck with it.

5. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

Many choices in this application. A few of my favorites: pair of API 525 or even better the API 2500, dbx 160SL, Focusrite Red-3, Manley Vari-Mu, SSL 384, Alan Smart C1 or C2, Joe Meek SC2.

6. klauth

klauth Guest

Wow!.... Thanks for the helps guys.

7. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

I agree totally with the notion of moving the kickand snare out from the cymbals in order to compress across a bus...especially with an X/Y'd stereo overhead set-up...I usually will send these out to their own bus to play with the room mics and be able to sweeten it with whatever and still not lose the crack and crunch I want in the basic trap kit.

8. claude

claude Guest

I know its a Peavey but.........Hows the Peavey VCL2 Compres

Yeah I know its a Peavey (Please don't flame me) but how is that Peavey VCL2 Compressor. I have the Peavey VMP2 and it ain't bad. Anyone here use the VCL2? Just thought I'd ask :oops: