1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Best condenser mic for $100?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Atmosphere, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere Guest

I'm looking to buy a condenser mic, and I've noticed there are quite a bit of condensers for $99.99 or less. What would be the best choice out of these?

I'm looking to use it for vocals, etc.

Edit: I noticed the AKG Perception 100 & 200, and the reviews look great. Is there a big enough difference in these two microphones where I should go with the Perception 200?
  2. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Fredericksburg, VA
    What would be the primary use(s) for this mic.

In my experience, any condenser mic under $100 leaves a lot to be desired and would be better replaced by a good dynamic mic a la the Shure SM57/58 or the Audix i5 or OM2.
  3. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Cocoa, FL
    +1 Cucco.

Finding a good condenser at that price ain't gonna happen, though maybe via a sucker on Ebay.

Only mics in that range are Marshalls (MXL) and the like.

Not worth it.

Save your money, or buy a 57.
  4. Atmosphere

Atmosphere Guest

What do you guys think about the AKG Perception 200? I'll use this mic for mostly vocals, maybe other random things.
  5. TheBear

TheBear Guest

ive had some awesome luck with the mxl v63m.

but its not a bad idea to go with an sm57, or like bent said save up for something better.
  6. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2003
    There is one good $100 condenser mic.....AT2020. Good build, handles high SPL well and pancake flat response from 80-20kHz. 57's are fine mics, but a 2020 is every bit as useful (yes, I own both and many more).
  7. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Sep 26, 2005
    Yup yup yup. That's right. You need both. When you need the condenser sound, you use the condenser. When you want that smoother dynamic sound, you use the dynamic. If it's really loud? Use the dynamic. If it's really soft, use the condenser. If it has a limited frequency response like a guitar amplifier, use the dynamic. It has a broad range of frequencies like a drum, piano use the condenser. For a vocalist? Try both!

If you didn't like any of those suggestions or those microphones? Put them in a box and don't forget to use a ribbon.

Lots of ribbons, Yum.
    Remy Ann David
  8. malamikigo

malamikigo Active Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    x 1,000,000 for the AT2020

hands down, best $100 microphone i've heard.