1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Best DAW with MIDI sequencer via score editor?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Zanman777, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Zanman777

Zanman777 Active Member

Hello everyone. I need help finding a DAW to suit my needs. What I need is basically a multitrack recorder that allows me to compose MIDI instruments through a score editor, not the usual piano roll. Besides that, I only need the basic stuff: audio tracks, VST implementation/effect rack, some envelope/automation capabilities, and that's it. Definitely don't need all the bells and whistles like a zillion gigabyte samples library. In fact, the lighter on CPU and hard-drive the better. If it's free, that would be a great plus. What is the DAW for me?

2. audiokid

audiokid Staff

You never mentioned your OS of choice but for PC I would look at these three :

Reaper (not sure about the editor but its cheap $ and very good)
    Samplitude
    Sonar

They all have a full working 30 day demo.

3. Zanman777

Zanman777 Active Member

Thanks! The OS is Windows XP indeed. Reaper doesn't have score editor, I've been using it and I know it. Ok, so far I've discovered Samplitude and Mixcraft (Sonar doesn't seem to have a score editor). Which is better?

4. audiokid

audiokid Staff

My main DAW Samplitide/Sequoia. I try and like the others but ... its hard. I thought Sonar had an editor. Sonar has more advanced midi but Samplitude is the ticket for you I think. If you are tracking with it, a well tuned PC is essential. Samplitude is releasing a new 64 bit version this summer. I'm expecting it will be even better :)

5. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Wikipedia has a list of MIDI editors. Several of the brief descriptions in the list mention score editing, but you would have to examine each possible candidate to see exactly what that meant and whether it would meet your needs of a recording DAW combined with MIDI score editing.

6. Mo Facta

Mo Facta Active Member

Cubase is without a doubt fantastic at this. The score and the midi editor are interchangeable.

Cheers :)

7. djmukilteo

djmukilteo Well-Known Member

+1 on Cubase6 it has scoring and the MIDI editing features and the multiple control tracks are fantastic, just about anything you can think of can be done....

8. audios

audios Active Member

Take a look at Digital Performer from MOTU. They invented MIDI programing, editing and notation. Scribe editing, piano roll. and some basic VST'i's for sketching ideas. Locks to a SMPTE stripped QT movie for spotting and tempo markers. very elegant MIDI DAW. I have been a user for 15 years and love it. Takes a bit of learning, but worth every minute in the manual.

9. Ripeart

Ripeart Active Member

+1 @ DP