1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

best hard drive for Paris

Discussion in 'Recording' started by tull, Feb 1, 2001.

1. tull

tull Guest

Dedric, What's the best hard drive to get for Paris?

Thanks,
    John

------------------
    So slip the chain and I'm off again, you'll find me everywhere, I'm a rover........Jethro Tull

2. Dedric

Dedric Guest

ATA66/100 and 7200 IDE drives. With newer PCs/Macs and faster IDE buses, the Maxtor Diamondmax plus drives (7200 rpm/ATA66 or ATA100) are the most popular and are streaming more tracks than SCSI systems. With PCs there is an issue with actually running a drive at ATA100, and I believe most people are configuring for ATA66. ATA100 seemed to run slower (likely a motherboard IDE bus issue).

I found an article in Macworld that spec'd the new Seagate Barracuda ATA 100 drives about 80% faster in some tests than the Maxtors. I don't know of anyone that has used them yet, but since the are about the same price ($180 or so for 40G) maybe worth a try (IBM drives have a good track record also). Stay with 7200rpm and ATA 66 or better either way.

Regards,
    Dedric
    Dedric

3. Ang1970

Ang1970 Well-Known Member

Have 10k rpm drives been tested with Paris? Or the new 15k's?

4. Dedric

Dedric Guest

I don't know if anyone has or not. I would be interested in the results. The main conclusion that most Paris users I know (including myself) have come to is that for price and performance, the ATA's are by far the best buy. A single 7200 rpm can handle over 80 tracks, and considering the cost of U2W, fiber channel and U160 SCSI systems, ATA66/100 is sort of hard to beat.

Dedric

5. Andy

Andy Guest

Brian T. recently reported doing 128 live tracks with Paris off a single Maxtor 7200 60 gig drive. I can't remember the exact setup, but it was something like playing 104 while recording 24.

He's obviously insane, but he must really have the world's largest DAW, and all off of a drive that costs a few hundred bucks. Amazing.

Andy

6. Ang1970

Ang1970 Well-Known Member

What kind of buffering time to you have to wait before it starts playing, especially when you have that many tracks?

7. Andy

Andy Guest

I have only a 2-card system, so the highest number tracks I have played back at once are 44 (32 tracks + 6 stereo submixes), but in this configuration and a 80 meg disk cache I have never noticed a lag of any kind. I'm using a 5400 rpm Maxtor 60 gig slave on a G4.

Andy

8. folksinger

folksinger Guest

Second the motion
    Maxtor 7200's, I have two 20GB and a 30GB, one for OS's (multiple boot partitions) and two for audio and video data. Best for the price and as Bian T can testify, good enough.
    And as for price, I'd get the smaller ones, more cost efective (30GB) at around $100 US, though I saw a 60GB out now, its all changing fast, I've seen people trying to sell 20GB models for the same as a 30GB. A simple calc will tell you $/GB. Look at the local stores sale prices and compare to the "mail-order" (don't forget to add shipping) with pricewatch.com. Make sure they have the larger on board cache, some of the 20's had 1 MB caches and some 2MB caches, big difference.

peace
    Brian