Best Interface for 1500ish...?

Discussion in 'Location Recording' started by momchenr, Apr 21, 2007.

1. momchenr

momchenr Guest

I'm just so indecisive, I guess. Now I'm looking into my best interface options for around 1500 total.

I need it to be able to track drums. I would consider a Rosetta 200 with the 1394 card if I knew it was just going to be me recording myself in stereo, but I need to be able to track drums, too.

I hear the RME Fireface stuff is really solid. Is this true? Are there any other interfaces out there that I should be considering? I care a lot about A/D conversion. I'm unloading my MOTU gear to get a step up. Thanks in advance. :)

2. dementedchord

dementedchord Well-Known Member

i havent used the RME stuff myself but by all acounts seems to be extremely solid... it seems to be a favorite on alot of these BBS's.. cant say i've heard anything really bad about them... if you check into them some more let us know what you find out...

3. dterry

dterry Active Member

For $1500, interface and DA/pres included, the options are Fireface 800, MOTU or a combo of a sub $1k interface and inexpensive converters/pre. Which MOTU are you dropping? There is a mod for several MOTU interfaces that supposedly (haven't heard it) improves the converter quality significantly (new op amps, clock, etc). Just one option to consider - here it is: http://www.blacklionaudio.com/motu_firewire_mod.html

The Fireface is a very nice interface. I'm not personally sold on firewire for critical audio (mine is basically standalone for the I/O) - the converters are very good - seem to be comparable to the ADI series, but I haven't had them side by side. An RME Digiface will run about $900 with the PCI card, etc, then you would need a converter - not much under $1k that will be a step up from MOTU in the multichannel range (the ADI series is around $1700 I believe).

To get into a Lynx AES with Aurora will run you closer to $3200.