1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Best keyboard controller?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by longgone1, Feb 9, 2004.

1. longgone1

longgone1 Guest

Hi, I am looking for a keyboard controller to use with my VSTi's at the moment I am using a keytar with 2 octaves and keys as thick as my fingers. I am looking for something with at least 4 octaves.
    thanks

2. dabmeister music

dabmeister music Active Member

If used is'nt an issue, then I'd go for a Roland A-70 (76 key) or A-90 (88 key) master controller. They offer a lot of features, ie: patching, zoning & etc. Fatar is another well known manufacturer of keyboard controllers. And the list goes on.

3. Barkingdogstudios

Barkingdogstudios Active Member

I have an old Roland A-33 which has six octaves on it. It's synth touch so if you're looking for weighted ....

I think I picked it up for a couple of hundred bucks US on EBay.

4. longgone1

longgone1 Guest

I was hoping for something with weighted keys but those A 33's are going for a pretty good price on ebay. Has it worked out well for you so far? any complaints etc?
    thanks

5. popcorn

popcorn Guest

Well longgone1,
    if your question was about a keys for sampler or sound module you might use these Roland A keyboards.But in the case for VSTi's you will need something with knobs or rotary-ies.Diferent range of keys are produced by Evolution: http://www.evolution.co.uk
    But the best one for Vsti's now is Novation Remote 25 Audio.Here they even included K-station option!http://

Best regards!

Donny

6. pandamonkey

pandamonkey Active Member

Hey, I cannot tell you much about the product line but I was doing some reading on DOEPFER controllers and they might be worth a look
    mIchAEl

7. MisterBlue

MisterBlue Member

I have owned a Doepfer LMK3 Masterkeyboard for more than 15 years now. It works great after all those years on the road and in the studio and it is simply a great controller. It has a weighted 88-key keyboard with aftertouch and most everything that you can ask for. I got the DIY kit at the time which involved some serious assembly (including a few hours with the soldering iron - the whole master circuit board !). Wouldn't do that again but I was a student at the time and saving a buck was important ... :D . With cheap production in China or places I guess these times are over !

I believe that they use Fatar mechanics (the same as StudioLogic controllers by the way - another option :roll: ) and also offer hammer mechanics by now which gives it a nice piano feeling. Just one word of caution: If you are used to plastic synth keyboards you are in for a cold shower. A real hammer piano action requires some strength in the fingers that can only be built over time. It is also not the perfect keyboard to playing ripping Hammond solos (and I had the blisters to prove it).

Anyway, I can't vouch for their quality today but if you are looking for a master keyboard if would give them a serious look, despite their lack of a real "brand name".

Just my opinion,

MisterBlue.

8. MisterBlue

MisterBlue Member

Here is a link :

http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm

The Dollar vs. Euro exchange rate unfortunately doesn't make this a steal any longer ... :(

The LMK4+ still looks like an outstanding master keyboard - it's got the hammer mechanics I mentioned. Sells for 1299 Euro (which includes 16% VAT that would not have to be paid if ordered from the US). Brings it down to around 1120 Euro plus shipping.

MisterBlue.

9. bhuvan

bhuvan Active Member

i've just ordered a evolution MK 449c for myself. i was looking at the radium and edirol keyboards and others in this price range and i thought that this offered a variety of options for a good price.

it doesn't have weighted keys like the A90 and the likes of that and it's four octaves, but i saw it serving my purpose best for the money i was willing to shell out. also got nine sliders, 8 knobs, 10 assignable buttons.. total of 30 assignable controllers. i thought this was good.