Best live recording crowd mics?

Discussion in 'Live Sound' started by SixStringAudio, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Anyone have any suggestions for capturing the best crowd response. I used a Crown Stereo PZM mic from the FOH sound board, sounded terrible. I'm considering NT-5s behind the speakers, aiming towards the crowd?

suggestions on microphones (preferrably under $400 for the pair), and placement.

2. twon

twon Guest

I have seen SM81's used around the front lip of the stage (assuming that it is raised) and pointing just straight out to the crowd..
  3. djrr3k

djrr3k Guest

Not cheap, but I've used the Sennheiser MKH-800's with great results and more expensive shotty's. Find yourself a couple shotgun mics and set them up on stage facing the crowd (if your outside invest in the dead cat). I can post some links of live records/dvds I've done if you want to search the web for some trailers or samples.

4. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001
    the Crown Stereo PZM may have worked better in a different position

however they are very omni directional so you will ge a lot of FOH in them
    hang them over the audience with their backs to the PA
    half way down the room

under a balcony ?
  5. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Moderator

Feb 23, 2005
    I agree with Kev. The Crown PZM is very position-sensitive, but can make a great audience mic. You need to be sure that your connections are polarity-correct and that you mount the mic on the right plane.
  6. rockstardave

rockstardave Active Member

Mar 3, 2006
    akg c1000s

they're officially used to capture choirs -- big groups of people.

point one out towards the crowd from the stage and you'll be perfect. even better -- they can be phantom powered via a 9v battery!
  7. Scoobie

Scoobie Active Member

Sep 6, 2006
    I also agree with Kev and Moonbaby, The crown pzm will work geat for audience mic. Like said, placement is crucial , you will get FOH in them. But will be usable when mixing.

I usally use my Oktava MK-012's . These work good also. I have two pair of these, bought a cheap pair from G.C. and a pair from Red Square Audio. The G.C. one's get used as audience mic all the time, That is about all their worth useing for!

A real good PZM mic...........SASS-P-MKIIH

I have used the Crown SASS-P-MKIIH to record a live acoustic show. Very good stereo image. It picked up the preformance and the audience real good. It was a writers nite, Open mic nite.