1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Best method to connect XLR to 1/4" TSR

Discussion in 'Recording' started by nehpyh, May 10, 2007.

?

Which connection is better?

1. A single XLR-TRS cable

100.0%
  2. XLR cable with XLR-TRS adpator

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. nehpyh

nehpyh Active Member

Hi all,

I have a Focusrite Voicemaster Pro connected to the 5th TRS channel of Digi 002R via a homemade XLR-to-TRS cable.

Is using a XLR mic cable and adding a removable XLR/TRS adpator better or using a single custom cable better?

Pardon my ignorance ; P

2. SoundWeavers

SoundWeavers Guest

hi, a single XLR to TRS cable is better.

3. Seedlings

Seedlings Active Member

An XLR-TRS adapter usually has a transformer in it to match impedence from a high-impedence mic to a low-impedence input. (Impedence is basically [AC] resistance, just in case that was unclear.)

An adapter will HELP if your input is designed for an instrument, like a guitar, or a cheap MIC. I think an adapter will not help if your input is balanced TRS. It will mess up the impedence, which may alter your frequency response of the MIC.

I think you idea as well as SoundWeavers advice is spot on.

CHAD

4. David French

David French Well-Known Member

http://www.rane.com/note110.html

5. TVPostSound

TVPostSound Guest

No they dont!!! They are straight wired.

6. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

There are straight XLR/TRS adapters without transformers available in all gender. While it is always better to have the right cable in order to minimize connections, it's good to have as many adapters around as you can. They really help in a pinch.

7. zemlin

zemlin Well-Known Member

The fewer electrical contacts the better - always.

8. Seedlings

Seedlings Active Member

I was thinking about this XLR to 1/4" adapter.

CHAD