1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Best mic for "gang" vocals?

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by nvemusic, Apr 27, 2009.

1. nvemusic

nvemusic Guest

Ok... 10 people standing around a mic... gang vocals for backup in a song... best mic? ideas?

2. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Neumann U87 in omni.

3. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Dave's right of course. Your budget is $3,400, right? ...Right?

Some idea about your budget, the room you are recording in, and the arrangement of the singers would help.

If you have the budget for it a good multipattern condenser is a great idea. Dave suggested the classic. The AKG 414 is good at a different price point.

Small diaphragm condensers in cardioid or omni are good for this as well - maybe better. Again, what price?

4. nvemusic

nvemusic Guest

Yeah, checked out the U87... my price range is about $1000. I don't do this type of setup often, so I'm not looking to go nuts on price.. The room is 8x10, all men vocals... I'm checking out the AKG 414 now

5. nvemusic

nvemusic Guest

I'm going to give the 414 a shot.. I like the idea of the five different polar patterns.. Thanks dudes

6. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you don't do this all that often, a multipattern condenser has a lot of other uses. The 414 is in that range and there are a bunch of competitors at that $1000 price point. You should have a lot of good options.

7. fourone3

fourone3 Active Member

Check out the Studio Projects LSD2. I used it on group vocals (I think there were six in there), and it was great.

Not terribly expensive either.

8. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Well, you did ask for the 'best'..... :wink:

9. song4gabriel

song4gabriel Active Member

rode k2 $600 has a variable polar swicth (not notched). i recorded the same thing you are shooting for and it worked nicely. plus you get to add a really nice mixc to your collection without going broke.

but i have to ask- what are "gang vocals"?

10. BDM

BDM Active Member

i just used two sE A1s in an XY on a group of about 10, and i even stuck a 57 in the middle for kicks. i'm pretty happy with the results. the A1s are also great for acoustic guitar and percussion, and are about $200 each...
    you also would have more options in the stereo field this way.

11. cluster

cluster Guest

I've done gang vocals in my living room with a single SM57.
    It sounded fantastic. The typical small room sound the best gang vocals out there have plus an epic reverb as a send effect.