1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Best Monitors--Lowest Price

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by lipmanajl, Aug 21, 2003.

1. lipmanajl

lipmanajl Guest

Any opinions on best low price monitors? I have a Korg D1600 16 Track and am looking for a pair of inexpensive monitors. Starting with lowest possible price on up. Thanks.

2. dabmeister music

dabmeister music Active Member

Dr. Alan , have you looked at monitors by Alesis , Behringer , or Yamaha ? These manufacturers offer a few buget level systems. Behringer has the Truth series. Alesis has the M1 mk2 series. And Yamaha has the MPS series. These systems average about $350 - $400. I'm pretty sure there are a few others that I've skipped over , but your milage may vary. Oh and by the way , the models I mentioned are bi-amped.

[ August 21, 2003, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: dabmeister17 ]

3. millionvalve

millionvalve Guest

Buy a well-treated set of something used.

You can get a pair of Tannoy Reveal (passives) for about $200 on ebay. I used to have a pair (my first set of real nearfields) and they worked really well. I can't think of an all-around better starter monitor.

Just to give you an idea of the "used" philosophy: I bought (and still have) a pair of mid-80's Yamaha NS-200Ma's for $279 (plus shipping). These are 3-way, 10" woofers, and 50-lbs each. While not perfect, they are at least as good as many newer monitors that would easily have cost me 2.5 times as much that are equally not perfect. A pair of NS-10's (which I have and love) starts, used, at about 400-500. The 200Ma's are more versatile and half the price.

Look for used Yamaha, JBL, Tannoy.

best-
    .nick

4. dabmeister music

dabmeister music Active Member

Hey guys , I see both you Dr. Alan & Million valve are local "cats". For the last 5 days , I've been stuck finishing a project for a client auditioning for the "American Idol" contest coming up this weekend. And I'll say this as a follow up to my previous response. I use a pair of bi-amped Event PS-8s that don't give you that "ear fatigue" after sitting up for hours editing. Dr. Alan I assume you opt for a more portable setup 'cause maybe your just getting started or is this a secondary , practice setup ? The reason I inquired , is because I graduated from a portastudio (Tascams 688 midistudio) which offered a lot of features for a unit of it's caliber. The native audio or TDM stuff has so much more to offer. If interested , I can help to get you started.

5. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

I think Kurt mentioned soemthing about Yamaha MSP5/10, can not remember now.

I do like the Alesis Monitor Ones. Take a look at ebay, you may also find a pair of Dynaudio BM5´s!

6. millionvalve

millionvalve Guest

For what it's worth, I think the Monitor Ones are incredibly thin. I'd not want to have those as my only monitors.

I read Kurt's review of the new Yamahas. I also remember reading somewhere that when you turn up the volume a bit the dual front ports are constantly puffing air into your face and ears.

.nick

7. downflow

downflow Guest

I bought a pair of msp5's on ebay, and while I'm not a seasoned recording vet, I have been extremely impressed and happy with the way they sound. They also translate very well, and they DON'T puff air in your face. If you crank them up, and I mean LOUD, then you will feel a bit of air coming out, but if you need to mix at these levels, I'd say it's time to start thinking about a new line of work. I just turned them way up before typing this, with a Puddle of Mudd CD, and it was hurting my ears, and barely blowing on my face, from about three feet away.

8. 3dchris

3dchris Active Member

Get a pair of used Yamaha NS-10s. They are not too expensive and one of the best ever.

thx,

chris

9. Alécio Costa - Brazil

million valve, are you sure we are talking about the same monitors? aren´t ya reffering to Point Seven? Man, the Monitor Ones are very heavy for their size.

10. millionvalve

millionvalve Guest

ACB-

The grayish/bluish Monitor Ones. Our sound guy at work has a pair and I keep telling him to just lose them.

Then again, by saying that, I guess it just goes to show that it's a matter of taste. Their (not much) low end is very reminiscent of NS-10's. Comapre them with some Reveals and I think you'll know what I mean.

Not arguing, just saying.

:)

.nick

11. AEW

AEW Guest

I was so happy when I bought a pair of Yamaha NS-10s just after they stop making them and they became scarce. But I was more happy when I got rid of them.
    Hey some like them, I don't.

Nick

12. Also not mentioned, are the Yorkville YSM1P active near-fields. Do a Google search. You will be hard pressed to find anything negative reviews about them. I have had mine for about 5 months, and needless to say I am a VERY happy camper. Well built, nice bottom end, great translation and clarity...all for 400 bucks. Can't rule them out. Canadian made. Best of luck on your eventual decision, Doc! ----Lee

Purchased them from here..great price, service and staff as well.

[ August 21, 2003, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: Lee Tyler ]

13. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Ok. You don´t enjoy them. But the NS10´s bass respinse compared to Monitor Ones?

I enjoyed your ambient Bass & Drums stuff
    :)

14. Andy W.

Andy W. Guest

Look into KRK. They are anywhere from $250-$1000 dollars and are worth the money. I use the v4's and I love them dearly. I own a studio and I rely on good monitors to make a great product and these are great. I also use M-Audio SP-5B's for tracking. They are not as good as the KRK's,the frequency response is smaller, but for the money they are ok.

15. d-dmusic

d-dmusic Guest

I have to second the Yorkville YSM1's in a big way.

I owned a pair of YSM1's. I had those and a pair of HR824's at the same time for a while and there wasn't much between 'em at all IMO.

Truly excellent monitors, but especially so for the price.

16. robchittum

robchittum Guest

Doc,
    I assume you are looking for powered monitors (already have build in amplification)? Anyway, I have used the Yamaha MSP5's are decent starter monitors. Kurt recently wrote a nice review of them in the reviews forum. I ended up upgrading from them about 6 months ago, mainly because I couldn't get my mixes to translate all that well to other systems on them, but that could easily be due to lack of skill more than anything. The budget speakers are almost all suffering from some detail problems (i.e., overhyped highs or lows, or something else) in my opinion. If you are willing to spend up toward the $1200 range for a pair you may be happier in the long run (that is if you plan on keeping this as a long term hobby). My thought is that you should go ahead and spend a good chunk on your monitors as they are perhaps the most important piece of equipment in the chain, and the only part that you hear. Definately don't rush into your decision on a monitor purchase, listen to a bunch yourself, and talk to a lot of people before you invest. Also, beware of used monitors off of ebay or other sites. You may get a good pair, but that is a spooky proposition given that there are several things that can damage speakers. Good luck in your search.

Rob

17. mchimes

mchimes Guest

I'm selling a pair of Tannoy System 800a's for $1000 . . . 2 years old, mint condition. I'm upgrading to the larger System 1200 for my new studio.

I agree w/ Rob, don't skimp on your monitoring chain. Spend a little more and get some quality playback.

My 2 cents,
    Mike

18. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

For $1200 or so you could find a good used set of Genelecs......1029's for sure and maybe(used) a set of 1030's.....Your next upgrade would be put off for many many years.

19. arothman

arothman Guest

I just purchased the ProDesk system from Blue Sky. $1000 for a pair of 5" satellites and an 8" sub. They sound spectacular and have received excellent reviews on both sound and company support. I'm quite pleased with the purchase.

Blue Sky

20. sosayu2

sosayu2 Guest

i never liked the ns 10's.... just have no bass response. the tannoy reveals are a good low priced speaker. they also make them self powered for a bit more.