1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Best PCMCIA FireWire card for an Mbox setup?

Discussion in 'Converters / Interfaces' started by rakane, Jun 8, 2008.

1. rakane

rakane Guest

Hi folks,

I've been messing around with my new MBox setup w ProTools LE 7.4 and have had not much luck in the Digi forums and compatibility req's pages for finding a FW card that I can connect to an external HD for dedicated recording goodness.

I've searched this amazing forum and have found the HD I think I need and almost found the PCMCIA card -- so my question, what is -THE- PCMCIA card -- on the Digi pages it mentions a couple PCI based cards but there's zippo on PCMCIA for a laptop . . .

any luck? suggestions? I know Texas Instrument chipset is the way to go? SIIG really sucks apparently? The card should be externally powered as well? That's the part I'm having trouble with, a lot of the cards I've browsed don't really state this info. explicitly. . . Thanks SO much in advance, this forum is godsend.

Any help / guidance is much appreciated!

Best,
    Ryan

2. EricUndead

EricUndead Guest

I have never heard of an externally powered "Firewire card". I think what you want is an externally powered Firewire interface so that the interface is not being powered by the card itself IE your battery.

When looking for a firewire card it is best to visit the support/forums of the manufacture of the interface your buying. This is a mistake I made buying my card.

TI is best usually and it is best to stay away from comb/usb cards. Also some interfaces dont like 800mbs cards.

Hope this helps

3. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

I have the SIGG card... didn't buy the external power supply... no need if your drives are self powered. I have ZERO problems with it...

http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=NN-EC2012-S1

works great. I have a Mac Book Pro i use is on with an Mbox 2 pro interface

4. rakane

rakane Guest

EricUndead: Yes, it does help, I appreciate it.

RecorderMan: Thank you, also my apologies as my question was pretty vague / semi-retarted. . . I'm kind of older so yeah in my Laptop (Dell, running Windows XP) it's actually an ExpressCard, not PCMCIA . . . I also have the Mbox Mini and it's been running famously. Anyway, I think I'll check that out. Thanks again.