1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Best Portable Flash Recorder?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by TorontoRob, Dec 11, 2006.

1. TorontoRob

TorontoRob Guest

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum, hopefully this hasn't been discussed before.

I have been using an Aiwa FM-70 MiniDisc for field recordings and it seems to be on it's last legs.

1) Which is the best "pocket" flash recorder out there? CF/SD (not even sure there is an SD one)

2) I was looking at the M-Audio Flash Tracker but it is nearly 2 years old, and I fear there may be a new one coming shortly...any idea?

3) Same in the Marantz department...the PM660 looks really nice but a little too big...maybe a PM650? Has anyone heard anything?

4) And lastly, is there another forum which specializes in this type of recording?

2. Dr_Willie_OBGYN

Dr_Willie_OBGYN Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Pacific Palisades, CA
    Home Page:
    I used to have a PMD670. Not very user friendly. For example to erase a track I remember having to press like 3 or 4 buttons. Also certain high frequencies just plain sound "artifacty" and "low resolution" when recording with the PMD670, even at the highest resolution setting. Recording footsteps did not sound the same as when recording with my DAW. When I recorded the breaking of a vase, the sound was completely unacceptable.
  3. TorontoRob

TorontoRob Guest

Ok, but taking my DAW out into the field is a little difficult. I need portability; but like you I also want quality.

Not sure which to get.

I believe the most popular are:

Not sure of any others but am open to any suggestions.
  4. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001
    check for a
    and gemini

M-audio looks interesting
    I'll start a rumour ... there is an upgraded model on the way