1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Best Products / Low budget - PC set up

Discussion in 'Recording' started by dbenoit64, May 1, 2009.

1. dbenoit64

dbenoit64 Guest

Im on a really tight budget (250 - 500) and I've been doing a lot of research and it sounds to me like my best bet is the following three pieces of equipment:

1. multitrack Mixing software (download free)
    2. PCI card (best sound per $ (vs USB/firewire))
    3. multi track connected directly into card (record 2 guitar, 1 bass, 2 vocal, drums)

I would like to record a full band silmutaneously (with each instrument / vocal as a seperate track) and edit the tracks. Although it will usually be just me doing single tracks at a time.

Im wondering what equipment would be best to accomplish what I want to do (if its possible at all).

ps: all i have are drums, guitars, amps, drums, and a pc.

2. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

Look up Audacity and the PreSonus FP-10. You can use Audacity or Cubase LE that comes bundled with the FP-10. idk about PCI cards, I doubt you'll need one with the FP-10 acting as an outboard soundcard, and hooks to your pc via FireWire. If you decide to go this route, you are getting everything you need at $100 under your max stated budget. Good luck, hopefully this helps you.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

link removed

3. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Non professional license of Reaper is very reasonable.

4. dbenoit64

dbenoit64 Guest

Yep. Firewire is a good way to go too. But I hear PCI is more reliable for latency issues.

Im not really worried about software.

for the FP10
    I am wondering how you are supposed to plug a regular xlr mic cable into those strange inputs.. are there converters that comonly come with these units or am i missing something altogether...?

5. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Why wouldn't you plug it into the combo XLR inputs in the front of the unit? What strange inputs exactly do you refer to?

6. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

They are combo XLR-1/4" They are primarily XLR inputs but you can plug a line in as well. The box knows what is plugged in and adjusts for it. I assure you they work fine.

7. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

No they look strange and I don't want my new XLR cables playing with them. I mean anything with a name like Neutrik, well, one can just tell.

8. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

Reaper is $50 and is awesome.

Kristal is free for non-commercial uses and is OK for purposes.

If you get Cubase LE, that's all well and good.

If the words "bit" and "torrent" are going through your head, get your leather trousers on cause the whipping will hurt.

9. MC3DPCS

MC3DPCS Active Member

Do you have acoustic drums or electronic? If acousitic, how many mics do you plan to use on the drums? Does the budget have to include mics, cables, mic stands, etc? I've done realy well buying used mics and cables on eBay, but I shop carefully, check feedback, etc.

I've had better luck with firewire interfaces than PCI cards but the PCI cards I've used were M-Audio pieces that were made ~5 years ago and they weren't stable. My current firewire interface has been stable recording to its limit of 12 tracks simultaneously. I've also had good luck with some of the new USB devices like the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra. You can get one new for less than $300.

Good luck!