Best reverb for classical music?

Discussion in 'Tracking / Mixing / Editing' started by TheFraz, Feb 8, 2008.

1. TheFraz

TheFraz Active Member

Reverb seems to be the thing I lack the most of.
    digi verb is a POS, and space designer only runs on logic.

I want something that sounds very natural. To give recordings less dead space when the musicians pause.
    I really don't want to spend over a grand on this.

Are lexicons and TCs any good at that price range?
    I know the Reibe is a grand, and like using it when I get the chance. So that is an option. Also I may be buying the renaissances plug in pack, which comes with a decent verb. But i rarely use it, as I have revibe and a TC 6000 to work with as well (when I am at school).

I know every one has there own opinions, but I would just like to hear what people use for their classical mixes.

2. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

I have personally found that no reverb under $1k can really compete with a good plugin (such as SIR or Altiverb).

The TC 2000 is nice for some things, but lacks a little bit when it comes to classical. I find the main verbs to be a bit dry and brittle.

The Lexicon stuff under $1k works a little better IMO - especially a used PCM91 but I can almost always spot the use of a Lexicon reverb (this golden halo of euphoria around the reverb).

The Kurzweil Rumor is surprisingly good for the money, but is a little tricky to get dialed in just right.

I'll be reviewing the Bricasti M7 here soon but it's significantly more than the $1k price you were asking about. I suspect it sounds a bit nicer than the traditional reverb box too.

Other than that, I've truly found the SIR plugs to be phenomenal.

I'm also going to be trying the new "BREVERB" soon. It supposedly has some cool features that make it better than IR reverbs. I can't comment though as I haven't touched it.

Cheers-
    J.

3. DavidSpearritt

DavidSpearritt Well-Known Member

Up until recently, we commonly used TC2000, TC3000 and SIR with some great impulses for all our classical live and mastering work. Of these SIR and the impulses sound the best. The TC 2 and 3000's are great for live stuff.

BUT, all of these pale into insignificance compared with the reverb in my new TC Studiokonnekt 48, which I believe are the Fabrik R algorithms from the 4000 and 6000 boxes. This reverb is so real, clean, misty and so easy to control and setup its scary.

4. Cucco

You gotta clue me in David -
    I've been using the Fabric R and just can't get it where I want. Would you be willing to send me a preset? That way I can see where I'm falling short.

5. DavidSpearritt

Certainly. Will do it when I next power up the main PC and find one.

6. Cucco

Thanks!

7. Simmosonic

Simmosonic Active Member

How much did you pay for that thing?

8. Simmosonic

Simmosonic Active Member

I *was* going to recommend SIR, partly because I've been using the free version for a while now and have been very happy with it - both for extending existing natural reverberation in a recording, and for giving life to recordings made in very dead rooms that have no reverberation at all.

But I've just visited the site and discovered that SIR2 is out, and it now costs money. The cool package would be SIR2 plus the 16 HDIRs to go with it, but at $299 US it's not the kind of thing to buy on an impulse. (Okay, I'll apologise for that one right now...)

The interface looks a lot nicer, there are Mac and PC versions, and I'm sure they've got some high quality impulses to go with it. But it's hard to recommend something I haven't used and that costs money. I am sure it will sound great, at least as good as the earlier free version.

Has anyone here tried it?

(Am I behind the times? If so, how far?)

9. Cucco

They still offer the free version though, don't they?

Last time I was on their site, I saw both, though I had to dig a little for it.

10. TheFraz

TheFraz Active Member

Free verb?
    My ears just perked up a little.
    Where can I find such things?

I should add that I am a mac user (although the logic thing kinda gave that away but I figure I would just clarify)

11. DavidSpearritt

They are really cheap on eBay at present.
    http://tinyurl.com/337bxj

12. Simmosonic

Simmosonic Active Member

http://www.knufinke.de/sir/

13. Simmosonic

Simmosonic Active Member

Hmmm.... What are you running yours with? A ThinkPad, if I remember correctly, but what specs?

14. DavidSpearritt

Just bought a cheap Lenovo, but they are pretty powerful machines now. T61, 2GB ram, 2.2Ghz Core Duo (T7500), 160 eSata drive, 15" widescreen, 1394a, Wireless etc etc. Runs so quietly you can record in the same room. It came with Vista and a whole lot of unsolicited crap installed but this only last minutes before it was nuked, of course. Now running XP SP2.

15. Simmosonic

Simmosonic Active Member

Well I'll be hornswoggled! [insert sound of hornswoggling taking place, allow to run until end of message]

Actually, I love the fact that standard off-the-shelf PCs and laptops are now powerful enough for most audio needs. Granted, you're probably running some DSP in the TC box, so I'm going tangential here, but nonetheless. I can remember not too long ago when putting together a PC for audio was a very serious undertaking; now you can buy an off-the-shelf laptop, hook up something like the Konnect and there it is.

Yeah, I can't 'see' the point in Vista for audio... [Ouch! Gentle with that hornswoggler, boy...]

16. DavidSpearritt

The Lenovo as configured above was only $1400. The TC box does take most of the CPU load, one of the reasons I bought it, and I have recorded 14 hrs of 4 channel 96/24 audio with it, without a hitch or should that be glitch.

I am keen to try a 12 channel recording with it soon, 12 channels of 96/24 will be interesting. I think the HDD is the bottleneck in these setups now and it should not have any problems with 12 x 96/24.

On the whole very happy with this new setup. Nagra are going to have to perform miracles to get me anywhere near interested in the VI.

17. Cucco

FYI - In case anyone is interested or cares -
    I just also purchased an off-the-shelf laptop for audio and have run 12 tracks of 24/192 for several hours using the fireface.

The config specs are almost identical to the specs that David listed. The difference is, it's a Dell. (Insert gasp here. I actually used to work for Dell and IBM as an on-site repair guy for laptops during 2000-2001 timeframe. I repaired about 8-20 a day for around 2 years. Overall, despite most people's bitching about them, Dells are made quite well. I will agree the IBM is a more solid piece, but nowadays, the difference is marginal).

Anyway- the WHOLE reason I chose the Dell was that the Ad that they sent me stated that they had a new machine catering to small businesses and that this particular machine would be configured (software and hardware) EXACTLY as you wish. No AOL? No problem. No MSN Messenger? No problem.

The maching cost $479 and included Win XP Home (which is fine for audio since the biggest differences in XP home and pro are network and workstation features). The great thing is - when I turned it on and went to the "Remove Programs" list fully expecting to see a bunch of other CRAP software in there, it was virtually empty. There was one Dell piece of software that I removed and nothing else.

After adding a nice external HD and a Siig Firewire card (TI chipset) and a nice case, I was out under $1k.

The longest session I have done on it was yesterday with over 8 hours at 10 tracks (two different recordings though - about 4 hours on each) and have done in total since then (first of the year) 14 location jobs and not a glitch yet.

All that being said - my point is - Simmo, you're right. The off-the-shelf laptops today are quite powerful and if your plans are mainly centered around tracking (not heavy/hardcore editing and effects) most laptops can be easily configured to accept the load.

Cheers-
    Jeremy

PS - One note - the machine I got does not have the widescreen - only the regular 15" screen. As I understand it, they've gone up $100 since then as this was a Christmas promotion.

18. Cucco

Although, I should add to my PS, that I had a 15" LCD in a very small and light road case that I would take with me when using my old portable PC. I can drag that with me (it's in a case the size of a briefcase) and thanks to WinXP, I can have both the laptop monitor and the external monitor active and have a dual monitor setup very easily. This comes in seriously handy keeping the interface mixer on one screen and the DAW software on the other keeping from having to minimize and redraw each time (which I've found causes dropped packets sometimes.)

19. Ivo

Ivo Guest

Bricasti reverb is something that has no paralel around. The natural, very real sound of its reverbs is quite amazing. It is something very different than Lexicons or TCs (BTW it has 16 times more DSP power than Lexicon 960L). Not speaking of the ease and creativity of the controls. For classical music, it would be very difficult to find a better, more natural choice. The most remarkable feature is a feeling of being "really in the space" without any usual sound artifacts. With the original source sounding intact and with full details.

Altiverb is nice, but a bit "blurred" and thin sounding in comparison. Breverb sounds to me just as one of many software reverbs (and probably not the best).

20. aracu

aracu Active Member

Yeah that Bricasti really has something going on. I heard one at AES and
    decided to order one, there goes the budget. It's got to be one of the most impressive pieces of gear out there. It sounds like it reflects the whole sound of the recording, not just some of the frequencies like the
    software convolution reverbs. It has it's own sound, dense and clean,
    and sets a nice stage for the music to sit in. The convolution reverbs are great for creating a sense of another better space, but not so much for a noticable background of reverb, unless enhancing a recording which already has one. I'm looking forward to using the Bricasti with clean, dry recordings of acoustic music made in a highly sound absorbent room, as well as for enhancing location recordings. And last but not least, to increase the realism of midi recordings made for low budget films.