1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Best Vocal Mic for ~$1000

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by musicfreak42, Aug 29, 2008.

1. musicfreak42

musicfreak42 Guest

I am under a budget, and looking for a mic in the $600-1000 range that will do best for my vocal needs. I sing mostly Jazz, and intimate stuff, I need something that has a warm texture, but clear sound, a mic that will produce the sound in my voice that will surround the listener and reel them in... so, it needs to be very rounded and not too colored... any suggestions? I know it's always better to look at the $2,000 up range, maybe at Neumann's and AKG Tubes, and what not, but unfortunately, I only have $1000 to spend
  2. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Fredericksburg, VA
    I stand behind this suggestion for life -
    Blue Bluebird. It's warm, but it's got a nice peak that doesn't sound strident but clear.

Add to that, get an AEA R84 or R92 and still get out for around $1000 with two awesome mics.
  3. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Distinguished Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Silicon Valley
    Are you in a hurry? If you know you want, like and need a $2000 or better mic, then save up a get one.
  4. Space

Space Distinguished Member

Jun 26, 2007
    We used to get them drinks!

No wait, they used to get US drinks, right.
  5. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Cocoa, FL
    Try a few AT's - a few Oktava's - and the Blue that Jeremy mentioned.

You decide from there which mic is best for you for under a grand.
  6. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Cocoa, FL
    BTW -

Yeah, part of the fun of being a fader pusher / sound junkie - we're on the other side of the board but hoping for the same thing...
  7. Milkshake

Milkshake Guest

I'd agree with the bluebird mic, fantastic condenser mic.
    If you'd like to hear a sample of what it sounds like on a pretty basic set up, check my myspace with a song called "waiting".

It's running through a firebox into Cubase 4 in my bedroom without acoustic treatment, but I still think you can get a good sound out of it.
  8. JCMastering

JCMastering Guest

A BLUE Woodpecker might suit your needs perfectly.
  9. bobbo

bobbo Active Member

Dec 11, 2004
    mojave either the fet or tube both in your price point, they may not be cosmetically appealing, but it seems like an amazing mic at an amazing price ($600 - $1000) built from great components and such. the fet version is my next mic purchase, i wouldn't mind having the tube one, but i'm too impatient to set up the power supply and let it warm up. time is money...
  10. pmolsonmus

pmolsonmus Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2003
    The Bluebird is on my "need to buy next" list, but I am VERY pleased with my K2 and 414s. Very different mics, but work well in many situations. Depending on the song and/or background I've been able to get most of what I am looking for. It also helps to have a good pre.

My .02

PS - I'm a vocalist as well
  11. niclaus

niclaus Active Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Paris, France
    "blue" sure ahve a lot of great mics...
    +1 for the bluebird...
  12. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Moderator

Feb 23, 2005
    Boy, there sure have been a LOT of suggestions here, no? I didn't see where you stated your gender-are you male or female? I've had great results with the AT-4047, both on males and ladies singing jazz. Kind of smokey, without being dull or muddy, breathy without being harsh. Great on Diana Krall and Michael Bouble wannabes, IMHO.
  13. BobRogers

BobRogers Distinguished Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Blacksburg, VA
    I wonder if the price point of $1K is sort of uninteresting or maybe sparsely populated. Most of the mics mentioned are around $600-700. On he other hand, most of the mics that I'd look at if I were spending more (earthworks, scheops, Neumann) are a lot more. Off the top of my head I can't think of a mic I'm really interested in that costs $1000 +- 100.
  14. phil1960

phil1960 Guest

Definitely recommend the Newmann Retro LDC tube. its now below $1000 because of the exchange rate and they are doing free delivery I think...just google it to find the website...
  15. stompjunkie

stompjunkie Guest

I've got a couple of AT 4060's that I really love on intimate vocals for both male and female.... they were very gently used and about $650 ea. definately worth checking out if you've got the chance.
  16. stickers

stickers Active Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Lowell MA
    Home Page:
    Ive been using an at4047. Sounds good, looks nice

I started out with a studio projects C1. Its a bight mic slightly brittle top end. It sounded good at first but got tired of it. sold it.

After the C1, I bought a K2. The K2 is built like a tank, heavy mic. The K2 was a nice mic although call me weird I got sick lugging it around since at the time I did a lot of location recording with bands. And I wasn't totally blown away with it on vocals something about the low mids. sold it

After the K2, I bought an at4050. versatile mic. pretty good on vocals. kept it

At this point, I kept hearing good things about the sm7. I got a sm7 which kind of an awkward ugly mic. I think it sounded fine on vocals but couldnt really see me using it for much else. I honestly didn't give the mic that much of a chance at that point. traded it.

A friend of mine purchased an at4047 for cheap money. I traded him the sm7 for the at4047. The at4047 is very good vocal mic, looks nice, easy to use and i'm comfortable with it.
  17. SeniorFedup

SeniorFedup Guest

HEY ALL!

has any one used a ksm27 by shure.?
    i noticed they are the same price as the blue blue bird mic
    are they worth the shot over the ksm-27?
    the reason i ask is cuz there is a chance of gettin the ksm-27
    for super cheap

my ex gave me a new one (ksm) but i sold it before ever using it. thats why i bring up this mic. maybe i should let go of her....(and the mic)
  18. fmw

fmw Guest

There you go. There aren't any right or wrong answers. Only personal prefereces. That's audio.
  19. atl123

atl123 Guest

The Shure KSM44 is awesome IMO. Our band's lead singer is amazing when listening to him in a room, but we could never find a mic to capture what he sounded like accurately. I done a lot of research and decided on this mic. Now on the recordings it sounds just like him in person. I have seen where people have done some sample recordings with the KSM44 and the U87 with favorable results to the KSM44. Not saying it is as good as the legendary mic, but I am saying that it is a poor man's U87.
  20. Everyone s voice is different and there simply isnt a great mic for everyone. Its all down to findining the perfect mic for you and if you are lucky it will be a SM57 if not then it will be a Brauner VMA. Best plan really is to get hold of as many different types of mic as you can but even then some will suite more if you want to scream into it or whisper sweet nothings. This year in the studio I have had great results with the standard u87 and u47 but also with a cheapo Jo Meek jm47 at around £100 here in the Uk Equally some fantastic results with the AEAR84 but also with the cheap as chips Golden Age R1 active ribbon. It's different every time so get a few different mics.