1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Best Vocal Microphone $250-$450

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by Josh1115, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Josh1115

Josh1115 Active Member

I am looking to upgrade to a better quality microphone to record acoustic rock and alternative vocals. However, I am looking to stay within the $250-450 range. What are people's suggestions of some good mics. I am looking for a mic that records good clear vocals. I want something that really captures the vocal performance not the extra noise in the background (in my untreated room).

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Used AT4047 or AT4060. Avantone CR-14. Of course the choice is completely dependent on the voice/room/style etc. It's a vague question without more info.

3. Josh1115

Josh1115 Active Member

added a little more specifics

4. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

That's a tough price range for condensers, but a great range for the best dynamics: Shure SM7. Sennheiser 421, Electrovoice RE20.

5. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

+1 on all three of those choices. Add the Heil PR35 to the list.

6. Shannon Adkins

Shannon Adkins Active Member

In an untreated room, a good dynamic may be best. I love the sm7b.

7. GZsound

GZsound Active Member

One more vote for the three dynamics. Great choices.

The AT 4047 and 4050/4060, etc. are great mics, but each sounds different and may not work on as many sources as the SM7, RE20 dynamics.

8. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

Yup yup, hands down, those dynamics. From 7 to 20 to 421 and beyond. Of course you can also get away with a SM58 and tell everybody it's a 7b. They'll never know. Just tell them you didn't turn the base switch off and you just left the presence switch on. Just make your distance from the 58 at least 1 fist in distance from your mouth and it will sound like a 7b. Any closer and it will sound like a 58. Dynamic microphones are slightly bandwidth limited in comparison to their condenser cousins who are sensitive to all of the trash you don't want. And the higher output of condenser microphones generally means that beginners will over gain the preamp causing lousy headroom & peak distortion situations. Dynamics have less output level and so are more goof proof. There you have it!

Dr. Howard Dr. Fine Dr. Howard
    Mx. Remy Ann David

9. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Quite right. On the other hand, the corresponding beginner mistake with dynamics is to drive your beginner preamps too hard. Better to live with the low level. The noise floor is better than the distortion of a hard driven cheap pre. Record low. Embrace the headroom.

10. duanecharles

duanecharles Active Member

I had the same question a couple of years back. Did a whole bunch of research, went on forums and finally decided on the AT4047. Put a smile on my face when I recorded with it. Nice to see it is still being recommended.