1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

best way to go into 003

Discussion in 'Recording' started by smoxrec, Jul 14, 2009.

1. smoxrec

smoxrec Guest

ok.. i here is what i got.

roland juno g
    soundtracs topaz 32x8
    akai dps16
    digi 003
    rode nt2 mic

debating on how to bring my mpc into pro tools 8. and what might sound better.

i can go mpc 8out -> 003 but 003 only has 4 pres.

i can go mpc 8 outs -> mixer line ins -> direct out -> 003 using the pres on the topaz..

or mpc 8 outs -> akai dps16 -> digitally into 003 using dps16 pres..

i read good stuff on the dps16 and topaz..but then also read that the 003 pres are not too spiffy..lol

what should i use as my front end?
    the akai route would be a cleaner signal but would it sound better than the topaz?

i will be going out of pro tools back into the topaz no matter what front end i use..

please,.. anybody
  2. BobRogers

BobRogers Distinguished Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Blacksburg, VA
    What is the output level of the mpc? I would expect it to be line level. Then you can just use the 8 line inputs of the 003. If not, then it seems to me you have to try all three options and see which one is best. Don't be surprised if you don't hear much difference. There are a lot of people on the internet who describe huge differences in the sound of mixer-level preamps like the ones you have. There are also people who describe the image of Elvis in their morning toast. Try the options yourself and use the one that sounds best to you.
  3. smoxrec

smoxrec Guest

best reply i got yet..thanks.

and yes the mpc is line level, so i think ima give it a try.

so i go straight into the 003.. then into the topaz to mix

or should i mix itb?
  4. hueseph

hueseph Distinguished Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I would personally mix in the box. The added D/A-A/D conversion isn't going to help your project unless you have an exceptional mixer and an exceptional A/D converter to go back into the box.

In other words, unless you've got a Neve 88 series console and an Apogee Rosetta, stay in the box.
  5. smoxrec

smoxrec Guest

so i shouldnt come back out to the topaz?

its a real quit board and sounds good too.

i was thinking otb then into the finalizer96k to master the mix.

then hit pro tools digitally.. no?
  6. hueseph

hueseph Distinguished Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    It's your project. If you can make it sound good, go for it. I would do two mixes. One itb and one out. Try and keep them similar and see which one you like better.