1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Best way to record mixes for dj?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by billy, Apr 18, 2004.

1. billy

billy Guest

have been a dj for 6 years and basically have been doing trial and error when recording mixes...evven when i think i have it right i prolle have it wrong.....now i want an experts view..i want my mixes to sound the best they possibly can....i now record through an eq and compressor..and do some stuff on soundforge....here are some questions and anything u would like to add will be appreciatted!!

1-is it just best to record flat???it always sounds dull thou=(

2-what is the best rms to normalize to?i usually do -14 or -15

3-is the compressor worthless when recording a whole mix?? i use it...i tried it a few years ago its seemed to tightened the bass so i just kinda stuck with it.....

4-what is the best level output of the mixer???also is it best to record with a -10 or 0 db output?my mixer has both.i use 0 db now i usually keep my meters at +3 to +5. peaking at 0 on the DAT

5- i mostly do trance music......is there a general eq setting to just run the whole mix through or is that a personal thing?

thank u in advance!!