1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Beta 91 boundry mic

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by sproll, Aug 16, 2005.

1. sproll

sproll Active Member

Hi everyone,

Was just curious on people's opinions on the Shure Beta 91 for a kick drum mic. I currently use an Audix D6 on a vintage Ludwig 20" kick drum... where I have a smaller drum do you think the Shure would give me a better sound?

Tom

2. sproll

sproll Active Member

Has no one ever used this Shure mic before? I find that hard to believe! :lol:

Ahh well... I guess I'll just draw my own conclusions. Thanks anyway.

Tom

3. Makula

Makula Guest

I use the beta 91 inside my 20" drum 6 inches away set on a pillow. I get an awesome , true sound out of this mic. Great for hard rock, and probably for any genre. Hell, it's designed specifically for this application, and I dont think you can really go wrong with it.. Ialso have used akg d112, and this thing kills it, if not only for its clarity.

4. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

I use a Sennheiser e901 live. (Same sort of thing)
    I love it. Best kick sound I've been able to get, ever.

Haven't had a chance to try it in the studio yet.

5. beta 85 with the boundry mic works well i hear. also try a sm7b for that "And Justice For All" sound

6. therecordingart

therecordingart Well-Known Member

Yeah, I brought home a Beta91 and it kills. between my D112 and the Beta91...the Beta91 has loads of attack and punch. The D112 was a little more round sounding.

I still use both, but the Beta91 is now my go to for the clicky metal kick sound.